PDA

View Full Version : Joining IPSE

BigRed
13th September 2016, 13:31
I finally joined IPSE on 9th September, searched for an hour for a discount code and couldn't find a valid one now they are all over this site :tantrum:

Having joined I feel extremely underwhelmed. Contractor UK had lots of articles to explore and the wisdom of What does your Accountant say NLUK whereas I don't see anything on th eIPSE site I'm interested in looking at. :ohwell

northernladuk
13th September 2016, 13:40
Site or forums? Plenty of interesting things on the site like the Advantages discount scheme and small print of the stuff you can claim.

woohoo
13th September 2016, 13:44
I finally joined IPSE on 9th September, searched for an hour for a discount code and couldn't find a valid one now they are all over this site :tantrum:

Having joined I feel extremely underwhelmed. Contractor UK had lots of articles to explore and the wisdom of What does your Accountant say NLUK whereas I don't see anything on th eIPSE site I'm interested in looking at. :ohwell

The forums are ok, if you ask a question they seem pretty nice, if a bit defensive. They say nasty things about contractoruk though.

SlipTheJab
13th September 2016, 13:50

Tell me you at least PM'd NLUK so he could get his hands on more of those lurvley Amazon Vouchers :D

northernladuk
13th September 2016, 13:58
Tell me you at least PM'd NLUK so he could get his hands on more of those lurvley Amazon Vouchers :D

Did he chuff. Kids will just have make do playing with a copy of the Metro paper I got them. :(

cojak
13th September 2016, 14:00
The forums are ok, if you ask a question they seem pretty nice, if a bit defensive. They say nasty things about contractoruk though.

And we smile benignly back at them because we break the big stories first. :happy

northernladuk
13th September 2016, 14:03
And we smile benignly back at them because we break the big stories first. :happy

And we holidayed on the mumsnet forum and just about survived. They wouldn't dare.

The immigration forums foray didn't go quite so well but that's another story.

scooterscot
13th September 2016, 14:26
Save your money - join amnesty international instead, it'll make more of a difference.

BigRed
13th September 2016, 14:39
I didn't actually find the forums, I've just done a search specifically for them and found them but they don't seem to link back to the main site?

On the main site it seems to have very similar information to CUK but I find here more accessible on the whole.

missinggreenfields
13th September 2016, 14:48
I didn't actually find the forums, I've just done a search specifically for them and found them but they don't seem to link back to the main site?

On the main site it seems to have very similar information to CUK but I find here more accessible on the whole.

Top menu bar > Interactive > Community

Or from your dashboard, choose Community on the left hand side.

TheBA
13th September 2016, 15:43

The same happened to me a few weeks ago. After I signed up, and I within minutes, every ad on here was the ipse 15% discount. Must be cookies related.

SlipTheJab
13th September 2016, 15:50
Save your money - join amnesty international instead, it'll make more of a difference.

Their IR35 investigation cover is a bit patchy...

malvolio
13th September 2016, 16:46
Ermm... really?

stek
13th September 2016, 17:48
Can you you unjoin from IPSE? I'm on local Danish expat payroll now and will be for the foreseeable...

northernladuk
13th September 2016, 17:56
Can you you unjoin from IPSE? I'm on local Danish expat payroll now and will be for the foreseeable...

Yeah but you want to keep it for a bit in case of historic investigations. Depends on your appetite for risk.

Might also get binned and you can still use the business interruption etc.

malvolio
13th September 2016, 18:26

Sadly membership is for the year from joining but as the man says it's worth keeping it anyway.

scooterscot
13th September 2016, 18:30

Better off purchasing insurance rather than membership disguised as something else. The one valuable lesson my IFA taught me was not to buy a service as a secondary benefit to the core service.

SlipTheJab
13th September 2016, 18:45
Ermm... really?

I meant Amnesty Internationals :tumble:

stek
13th September 2016, 19:04
Sadly membership is for the year from joining but as the man says it's worth keeping it anyway.

May as well then, though I was thinking of an MVL lol!!

Better not burn all bridges....

Lockhouse
13th September 2016, 19:54
It occurred to me today I've still got the PCG logo on some of my stationery.

malvolio
13th September 2016, 19:58
Better off purchasing insurance rather than membership disguised as something else. The one valuable lesson my IFA taught me was not to buy a service as a secondary benefit to the core service.
If IR35 cover was all you are getting you may just have a point. But you aren't. So perhaps you haven't.

scooterscot
13th September 2016, 20:05
If IR35 cover was all you are getting you may just have a point. But you aren't. So perhaps you haven't.

You would say that. You have to say that. But lets not pretend the majority of members buy into IPSE for IR35 legal protection. IPSE membership base would no doubt weaken considerably the same day IR35 is scrapped.

malvolio
13th September 2016, 21:03
You would say that. You have to say that. But lets not pretend the majority of members buy into IPSE for IR35 legal protection. IPSE membership base would no doubt weaken considerably the same day IR35 is scrapped.

That question has been asked. No it wouldn't.

MrMarkyMark
13th September 2016, 21:17
That question has been asked. No it wouldn't.

:laugh

missinggreenfields
13th September 2016, 21:43
But lets not pretend the majority of members buy into IPSE for IR35 legal protection.

You're right. That's what malvolio posted as well.

Eirikur
14th September 2016, 08:25
I became a member a year ago now canceling my membership as it doesn't seem to provide any benefits. Just have all my stuff with QDOS which is enough.

scooterscot
14th September 2016, 08:28
I became a member a year ago now canceling my membership as it doesn't seem to provide any benefits. .

Same reason I left.

TheFaQQer
14th September 2016, 09:27
I became a member a year ago now canceling my membership as it doesn't seem to provide any benefits. Just have all my stuff with QDOS which is enough.

I guess that it depends on what you see as a benefit and what you don't - if you don't need the multitude of things that IPSE offers (or don't think you do!) then you may well be better off financially elsewhere.

As a starter, the costs of three Qdos products that are included in IPSE Plus membership comes to £481 (tax investigation insurance, jury duty cover, sickness cover). From what I can see they don't provide cover if the agency goes bust, or if the client does, or if the contract isn't as described - all included in your IPSE Plus membership.

Using IPSE Advantages to get discounts at PC World pays more than my membership fee every year, and then some. IPSE Futures critical illness cover is significantly cheaper for me than anywhere else. Plus even if you don't do anything else, someone gets £5k from IPSE if you die while you're an IPSE Plus member.

And as far as I can remember, Qdos have never spent over £1 million taking a case to the House of Lords to set a legal precedent that benefits many contractors.

I struggle to see where you can get a similar package for less money, to be honest. But if you have suggestions on what benefits IPSE should be providing, then make suggestions for what you would like to see your membership organisation provide.

The Only Way Is Keynsham
14th September 2016, 09:31

Not at all. I get peace of mind from knowing that as soon as I get any kind of tax enquiry I can get IPSE to help me out.

Of course you need the IPSE Plus subscription but it's well worth it.

northernladuk
14th September 2016, 09:39

I'm not so sure about that. You should be able to make your membership back and more from the Advantages programme for a start. There is also the all the 'possible' benefits, some of which cover very real a possible scenarios. Look at the business interruption option. 2K if an agent welches on your contract (T&C's apply). So if you sign, they pull it as we see on here very regularly you can claim up to 2k dependant on the notice period they didn't invoke. If you claim it once every 4 years your membership is paid for. Seems good odds to me that.

It's like many things, it's expensive when you don't use it. A real benefit if you unfortunately do. I've paid for top Green Flag break down and haven't claimed on it for like 15 years. Needed it last Wednesday and all that money was worth it to get me home.

Just because you haven't used the benefits it doesn't mean they aren't there. Each to their own.

SlipTheJab
14th September 2016, 10:22
+1 IPSE membership is a no brainer.

Chuck
14th September 2016, 10:42
I claimed on the PCG Jury Service cover. I forget the exact figures, but it's not far off to say that it covered 10 years of PCG membership.

northernladuk
14th September 2016, 10:45
Don't forget if you are a well respected, highly knowledgeable contractor, revered by your clients and peers alike you can make quite a lot of it back through the referral scheme as well!

Eirikur
14th September 2016, 10:48
And as far as I can remember, Qdos have never spent over £1 million taking a case to the House of Lords to set a legal precedent that benefits many contractors.

Wow one case. At the moment they are failing in everything. I see them as a trade union and some of their members on here like their pushers, bullying those who don't want to belong to this club of :winker:. I hate trade unions. I tried one year of membership and it's complete rubbish

Jury cover, sickness cover all jokes, a couple of days money if you're out for 6 months it's not going to make any difference.

cashback website? Quidco and Topcashback have way better deals and more

northernladuk
14th September 2016, 10:55
Wow one case. At the moment they are failing in everything. I see them as a trade union and some of their members on here like their pushers, bullying those who don't want to belong to this club of :winker:. I hate trade unions. I tried one year of membership and it's complete rubbish

Jury cover, sickness cover all jokes, a couple of days money if you're out for 6 months it's not going to make any difference.

Looks like you've made your mind up and there is no convincing you otherwise so fair enough.

malvolio
14th September 2016, 11:01
Looks like you've made your mind up and there is no convincing you otherwise so fair enough.

Indeed. Schiller got it spot on...:tongue

TheFaQQer
14th September 2016, 11:13
Wow one case.

Yep - £1 million plus. It costs a lot of money to go to the highest court in the land, even if you do win at every stage of the process. No commercial organisation will do that for one of their customers, yet IPSE has done so for a member and would fight a similar case again and again.

If you are called up on jury duty, then the IPSE policy will pay up to £500 per day to reduce (or totally cover) the loss to your business. If you don't see that as a benefit, then maybe a trip to Specsavers is in order :)

mudskipper
14th September 2016, 12:02

Have you considered giving shares to your spouse? If so, you've benefited from that one case. I suspect you've also benefited from the case law that has been established round IR35.

I don't know what the "everything" they're failing in at the moment is. Are you still able to claim T&S if you're outside IR35? Are they currently arguing against the proposed public sector changes?

Stating the benefits that IPSE membership offers, and/or the wins they have made isn't bullying. If you don't want to join, then don't. The good news is that you'll still continue to benefit from any campaign "wins", even if you're not covered for your jury service :)

SlipTheJab
14th September 2016, 12:52
Don't forget if you are a well respected, highly knowledgeable contractor, revered by your clients and peers alike you can make quite a lot of it back through the referral scheme as well!

Quite!