• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors, I detest them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors, I detest them

Current ClientCo has had a recent influx of new contractors. They have all somehow so far managed to come across as pretty detestable - arrogant, mouthing off about previous roles, and assuming anyone they speak to is a dumb perm.

I can't work out why so many contractors start a new role in this way. Perhaps it's because I'm not in a 'techy' environment - these people are generally project managers who will personally achieve very little so are already setting out their stalls.

I prefer a more cautious approach to my first few weeks in any new role - I like to assess the lay of the land before I come out of my shell.

Perhaps I should try the gobby approach like you lot probably do...
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Is this a cut and paste, your attempt to get banned or a cry for help?

I've found contractors to be a mixed bag and the level of confidence to level of ability coefficient varies considerably. Some know their stuff but can be quite humble about it - they generally sit there quietly, consistently delivering and getting extended. Others bs their way in and soon bs their way well out of their depth and out the door. I find these amusing and provide comedy value aplenty.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Current ClientCo has had a recent influx of new contractors. They have all somehow so far managed to come across as pretty detestable - arrogant, mouthing off about previous roles, and assuming anyone they speak to is a dumb perm.

I can't work out why so many contractors start a new role in this way. Perhaps it's because I'm not in a 'techy' environment - these people are generally project managers who will personally achieve very little so are already setting out their stalls.

I prefer a more cautious approach to my first few weeks in any new role - I like to assess the lay of the land before I come out of my shell.

Perhaps I should try the gobby approach like you lot probably do...

I for one do not wade into a company as Billy Big Bollocks. I go in very professionally, open ears & look for opportunities to get involved & to help out others. I find that mays dividends & I am able to be nice all day by being a Billy Big Bollocks online & speaking to everyone there that they're dumb cretins.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I for one do not wade into a company as Billy Big Bollocks. I go in very professionally, open ears & look for opportunities to get involved & to help out others. I find that mays dividends & I am able to be nice all day by being a Billy Big Bollocks online & speaking to everyone there that they're dumb cretins.

Wasn't it you that punched someone once?
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Is this a cut and paste, your attempt to get banned or a cry for help?

I've found contractors to be a mixed bag and the level of confidence to level of ability coefficient varies considerably. Some know their stuff but can be quite humble about it - they generally sit there quietly, consistently delivering and getting extended. Others bs their way in and soon bs their way well out of their depth and out the door. I find these amusing and provide comedy value aplenty.

Sadly I mainly appear to come across this type.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Wasn't it you that punched someone once?

Yes, but they did deserve it.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Quite ironic, as even though you are a British Native speaker, you clearly have problems expressing yourself using the basic rudiments of the English language.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So its just on here you talk bollocks and act the Walter?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  So its just on here you talk bollocks and act the Walter?
                  It is known to medical science.

Comment

Sadly I mainly appear to come across this type.
                    Always look for the ones without extensions on their CV; you'll generally figure out why they don't get extended after the first month
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X