• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where are all the hardcore contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm talking about the old days where contractors were a CUT ABOVE the permies (ie. NOT glorified Temps).

I'm talking about getting TOP DOLLAR for doing what 80% of Contractors CANNOT ever rise to. Yes I can understand that algorithm. Yes I can sell it into the business. Yes I can talk to sales guys without folding. Yes I can box in the gym with traders. Yes I can banter with the developers - because
    I know their game. Describing a concept , I can flip between multiple levels of abstraction in the same sentence. I can sell the same piece of kit into a developer , a quant, a trader , an accountant, whatever. I can do bits and bytes but also a polished sales pitch..anyway, enough about me.

These days contracting is temping. Thank the lord i made my money. I've only come back into the game for the totty- I was getting bored in my villa in the med. I love British women- they can think properly.

So I'm back on the trading floor. Dominating the scrums. Flexing with the business. Yeah. I'm back. Bigger than ever, and twice the bar presence.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post

Comment

I'm talking about the old days where contractors were a CUT ABOVE the permies (ie. NOT glorified Temps).

I'm talking about getting TOP DOLLAR for doing what 80% of Contractors CANNOT ever rise to. Yes I can understand that algorithm. Yes I can sell it into the business. Yes I can talk to sales guys without folding. Yes I can box in the gym with traders. Yes I can banter with the developers - because
        I know their game. Describing a concept , I can flip between multiple levels of abstraction in the same sentence. I can sell the same piece of kit into a developer , a quant, a trader , an accountant, whatever. I can do bits and bytes but also a polished sales pitch..anyway, enough about me.

These days contracting is temping. Thank the lord i made my money. I've only come back into the game for the totty- I was getting bored in my villa in the med. I love British women- they can think properly.

So I'm back on the trading floor. Dominating the scrums. Flexing with the business. Yeah. I'm back. Bigger than ever, and twice the bar presence.
        Its simple. The days you are talking about existed for about a decade running up to y2k, then businesses realised that they liked the model but not the costs and two things happened.

1) They pushed the agents into placing commodity dross not the top 5%
        2) Businesses stopped asking for the person that knew everything in their field and started looking for mugs that would work 100 hours for free for a chance to try.

At the moment my rates swing from 700 + on referrals and the crap that you have to pickup in the meantime. That can be anything from £550 I gave up working in banks in the 90's because the work was boring and the techies were almost as bigger arseholes as the traders. The contractors you are looking for are all but dead/retired/diversified found two of them last year though. It was like dinosaurs nodding at each other as they cross a plain...

You are right though most contractors these days are temps in for a shafting.

Comment

I will ask my accountant and let you know.

Comment

This sounds like the sandwich delivery man's spiel on the floor of the LSE
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Is our Long gone Aussie friend back?

Comment

Maybe because being a jack of all trades but master of none is not actually that valuable in todays market?

So say i want someone to develop - why would I also want to pay them to be able to do lots of other things - I want someone to develop 8 hours a day not spend 8 hours a day braying about how good they are...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Is our Long gone Aussie friend back?
                  Sadly I think you are right.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You sound 20 years out of date. The big beasts have all made their money and retired. The market has changed, contracted (pardon the pun) and those of us still here are watching the clock tick down to retirement or too busy making a living to think what once was.

You need a slap in the chops and to be told to snap out of it man.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X