• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella co for part-timer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella co for part-timer

I am in the usual position of having a part-time contract (18 ¾ hours per week) as I am a new parent.

I have been using the services of an umbrella company for the past 3 months, but frankly, the service is getting worse and worse and I would like to move elsewhere. I have noticed, however, that most umbrella companies have fixed per week or per week fees, which are a big chunk out of a part time wage.

Are there any other part-timers out there? Does anyone have any experience of an umbrella company that accommodates part-timers? Does anyone know of any that charge a percentage admin fee?

Originally posted by part_timer
    I am in the usual position of having a part-time contract (18 ¾ hours per week) as I am a new parent.

I have been using the services of an umbrella company for the past 3 months, but frankly, the service is getting worse and worse and I would like to move elsewhere. I have noticed, however, that most umbrella companies have fixed per week or per week fees, which are a big chunk out of a part time wage.

Are there any other part-timers out there? Does anyone have any experience of an umbrella company that accommodates part-timers? Does anyone know of any that charge a percentage admin fee?
    1st Contact charge a percentage fee but I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

I looked at using them and they are more interested in the sale and dont give a feck about you as a person. The tried to assign me to "Frigg Educational Services" company...when I am a frikking logistics contractor. People would have thought that I was taking the piss.

Comment

Know anybody with a Ltd company?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Sadly not. Thought about starting my own, but it seems like a lot of hassle to me.

Comment

An hour a month if you use a good accountant. Cost is the same or less than using a brolly and you dont have to worry about the brolly screwing things up. PLus if you get more work in the future then you are already sorted to handle it. All you have to do is send bigger invoices
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Get an LTD - after 2 years of its existance you can close it and get nice capital gains tax relief, plus you will have your OWN company - no excuse really to use brollies or what not: you might as well become permie.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Get an LTD - after 2 years of its existance you can close it and get nice capital gains tax relief, plus you will have your OWN company - no excuse really to use brollies or what not: you might as well become permie.
              You're right, of course, and I think this might be the push I need to get it organised.

Thanks to all who posted.

Comment

Working...
              X