• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winding down to semi-retirement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winding down to semi-retirement

Sat at home merrily coding whilst reading of the travel chaos that everyone is facing today. Then punctuate that with the loud-mouthed posturing of the brash, perma-temp newby contractors that like to oversell themselves (I blame The Apprentice ). Yes, I'm glad I don't have to contend with that too often these days thank you very much.

Anyone else in a steady slide into a middle-aged, semi-retired existence? If not, why not? Face it - long hours away from home in a hostile office environment is a young person's game. I'm not truly ancient yet but I think the 80s/90s promise of early retirement is starting to sound good, although I don't have the funds for a full exit from the grind.

Semi-retirement (or work as and when it suits me) is the way forward for me I think. Just have to adjust the family's expectations and I'm sorted

If that sounds a bit lame, I apologise; hopefully you'll make it home for a quick G+T before closing time.
    I get up...

Almost there. Just waiting for current clientco to stop renewing my consultancy agreement.

Though in my early-40s I think it'll look like I'm showing off if I semi-retire.

Still have a young family to raise so winding down might not go the way I'd want just yet.

Comment

You just need a couple of rental properties all paid off and then the rent is your pension. Most contractors should be able to pay of the mortgages after 10 years contracting*

*Unless you get divorced, lose the lot, and now live in a rented bedsit above a kebab shop in Slough.

Comment

This week has been great doing stuff. And by the end of the week I had more money in the bank than last & I don't even have a job. Which was nice.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          This week has been great doing stuff. And by the end of the week I had more money in the bank than last & I don't even have a job. Which was nice.

Yes, you must have been well chuffed that your small redundancy payment came in.

Cheers

a
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            The new tattoo is paying off then....?

Comment

I've got another 18 months of full time then I'll only be doing it to get more toys and the retirement window is open. I'd like a boat and a little place in France so it depends how much I can be bothered with the trade off of doing another year or so. I will only be doing nine months per year or thereabouts if I do carry on.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

School fees preclude early retirement. Otherwise everything's in place and waiting for Brexit to happen for clarity.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                X