• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has the UK got Tech Talent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech Talent: How the UK lost six potential titans

A nice comparison of what happens when startups are sold for short-term gain.

One wonders what it'll take for a UK to hold onto something. Dyson would be the only technology business that I can immediately think of that's not sold itself to shareholders.

Woman at keyboard with Google logo behindGoogle
    Across BBC News outlets this week, under the banner Tech Talent, we are asking whether the UK can compete in the global technology industry - and why we haven't produced a tech giant on the scale of Google or Apple. Here are my thoughts on those questions.

In the last ten days I've met the founder of a British games company which is still independent after a quarter of a century, and about to launch one of Sony's first virtual reality titles.

I've attended a celebration to mark the extraordinary success of the Raspberry Pi, a tiny computer created in Cambridge to teach children to code, which has now achieved global sales of ten million.

And I've had a demo of the latest products from a fledgling company called Chirp, created by a University College London scientist to transmit data via an audio signal.

All of these are examples of a thriving British technology landscape. So why, over nearly 20 years of covering the tech scene, do I keep getting asked the same thing - where is the UK's Google?

When is a British Mark Zuckerberg coming along? And before that it was "where is our Apple or Microsoft?"

Mark ZuckerbergGetty Images
    Is there a British Mark Zuckerberg coming along?
    Actually, it's not just in the UK that you hear that question.

It's asked in Germany and France, and in Israel, home to a thriving tech startup scene. Heaven knows - it's even asked in New York and Boston.

Everyone, everywhere, wants to be like Silicon Valley and can't quite work out how you pull it off.

Entrepreneurial culture

Still - that doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to do better. Because the last 20 years have seen us make progress towards being a hi-tech nation but only in fits and starts.

Two things - money and an entrepreneurial culture - are at the heart of sorting this out.

During the dotcom bubble of the late 1990s it looked as though we were moving forward on both fronts.

A 2001 advertising boardGetty Images
    Investors were keen to back dotcom startups
    It was a time of huge - even insane - investor optimism and cash was being thrown at any young person who showed a banker a business plan on the back of an envelope with www scrawled on it.

Meanwhile an entrepreneurial culture was taking root - starting a company was becoming cool - or at least cooler than joining an investment bank or the civil service.

Scientists at our great universities were discovering that their research could have a lucrative life outside the lab and the lecture theatre.

Boom to bust

Then the bubble went pop, as did most of the young tech companies. The trouble was that in Britain, the dotcom boom came later than in the US, but burst at the same time - so only a very few firms lived on and none on the scale of the Silicon Valley giants.

The City of LondonGetty Images
    Is the City of London to blame?
    And while venture capital soon recovered its confidence in the US, it was much slower to do so here.

The City has always had a reputation for short-termism, and maybe having seen so many far-fetched dotcom ideas go up in smoke in 2000, the financial world was right to look warily at the next young thruster coming along to promise to change the world with an app or a social network.

Today, the money is flowing again - though compare the millions raised by the UK taxi app Hailo with the billions at the disposal of California's Uber to understand why Silicon Valley so often comes out on top.

And, yes, a country that has seen companies like ARM and Autonomy born out of Cambridge, Grand Theft Auto maker Rockstar Games emerge from Dundee, and the brilliant artificial intelligence firm Deep Mind created in London isn't doing too badly.

Just one thing - all of those firms are now in foreign hands. Wouldn't it be nice if one day a giant British tech company could end up as the predator not the prey?
    source: Has the UK got Tech Talent? - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Tech Talent: How the UK lost six potential titans

A nice comparison of what happens when startups are sold for short-term gain.

One wonders what it'll take for a UK to hold onto something. Dyson would be the only technology business that I can immediately think of that's not sold itself to shareholders.

source: Has the UK got Tech Talent? - BBC News
    So what? and how many of those start ups come from Scotland out of interest?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      So what? and how many of those start ups come from Scotland out of interest?
      Of the loosing ones mentioned in the article? None

The successful one the article does not mention, Sky-scanner, Fanduel, Mallzee, Money Dashboard, PureLifi, ZoneFox.. the list goes on.

Give me a call when yo are ready to ketchup.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Of the loosing ones mentioned in the article? None

The successful one the article does not mention, Sky-scanner, Fanduel, Mallzee, Money Dashboard, PureLifi, ZoneFox.. the list goes on.

Give me a call when yo are ready to ketchup.
        Presumably they will soon relocate to England's business friendly low tax no envy environment in the near future
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Time to solve the Scottish innovation problem | University of Cambridge

Comment

Presumably they will soon relocate to England's business friendly low tax no envy environment in the near future
            And deny themselves access to a market for 250 million people by moving out of the EU?

Comment

How did Edinburgh become a tech hub to rival London? The answer: collaboration

PS: See how my article is up to date.

Comment

thinking of new ways to produce and consume whisky is hardly advanced tech

Comment

thinking of new ways to produce and consume whisky is hardly advanced tech
                  So you've given up relational debate in the face of defeat to default to type, insult. I suppose it's yo thing; agent.

Comment

So you've given up relational debate in the face of defeat to default to type, insult. I suppose it's yo thing; agent.
                    Fair point. I do not think rational debate with you is possible

Comment

Working...
                    X