• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tats are tatty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tats are tatty?

Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring, says employer advice group - BBC News

Employers have been warned they could be missing out on top staff because they are rejecting candidates with tattoos.
    The conciliation service Acas said negative attitudes about visible tattoos are outdated.
    Employers could be drastically reducing the pool of potential recruits because so many young people now have tattoos, Acas said.
    am I just an old fuddy duddy? I find large visible tattoos challenging. I'm sure the person under them is normally lovely but it seems an own goal unless your career is a tattoo artist.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring, says employer advice group - BBC News

am I just an old fuddy duddy? I find large visible tattoos challenging. I'm sure the person under them is normally lovely but it seems an own goal unless your career is a tattoo artist.
    Very much depends on the industry. Almost mandatory in entertainment. As long as you can hide them under what you normally wear for work, then there's never going to be a problem. There is an obvious perception issue with tattoos on necks, etc. though. That said, I can't imagine many companies wanting a receptionist with a heavily tattooed face for example, but you can informally discriminate against anything at an interview.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I agree and would add in excessive piercing. At my last permie job we had a chap turn up with half the stock of the local plumbers merchants sticking out of parts of his head.

Some thing like this:

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Am I just an old fuddy duddy? I find large visible tattoos challenging. I'm sure the person under them is normally lovely but it seems an own goal unless your career is a tattoo artist.
        I hate the flipping things especially on women. To me it indicates the person is probably a bit thick or has low self-esteem.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Don't care - so long as they can do the job. But I will be slightly smug in the knowledge that I can get a tattoo if I want to, but vice versa, they can't do so easily.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I hate the flipping things especially on women. To me it indicates the person is probably a bit thick or has low self-esteem.
            Well, perceptions can deceive.

I have friends in the alt. scene and their tattoos are personal and mean something to them. None that I know have low self-esteem or are thick.

All though give not a flying feck what others think of them.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But they are pointless though aren't they?

To me they show unoriginal, herd-like thinking - probably the opposite of the intention!

As Ozzy once said - if you want to stand out in LA try NOT having a tattoo.

And they go out of fashion, then what do you do?
              I get up...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I have friends in the alt. scene and their tattoos are personal and mean something to them.
                What's an alt scene?

My cat means something to me but I wouldn't staple it to my chest.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The alt scene is generally for people who like piercings, tats, leather gear etc....

it so alternative they all look the same!

Comment

The old man had a bar code on his John Thomas.

Comment

Working...
                    X