PDA

View Full Version : Tats are tatty?

vetran
21st September 2016, 08:56
Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring, says employer advice group - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37419897)

Employers have been warned they could be missing out on top staff because they are rejecting candidates with tattoos.
The conciliation service Acas said negative attitudes about visible tattoos are outdated.
Employers could be drastically reducing the pool of potential recruits because so many young people now have tattoos, Acas said.

am I just an old fuddy duddy? I find large visible tattoos challenging. I'm sure the person under them is normally lovely but it seems an own goal unless your career is a tattoo artist.

LondonManc
21st September 2016, 08:59
Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring, says employer advice group - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37419897)

am I just an old fuddy duddy? I find large visible tattoos challenging. I'm sure the person under them is normally lovely but it seems an own goal unless your career is a tattoo artist.

Very much depends on the industry. Almost mandatory in entertainment. As long as you can hide them under what you normally wear for work, then there's never going to be a problem. There is an obvious perception issue with tattoos on necks, etc. though. That said, I can't imagine many companies wanting a receptionist with a heavily tattooed face for example, but you can informally discriminate against anything at an interview.

Uncle Albert
21st September 2016, 09:03
I agree and would add in excessive piercing. At my last permie job we had a chap turn up with half the stock of the local plumbers merchants sticking out of parts of his head.

Some thing like this:

http://acidcow.com/pics/20100129/weirdest_face_piercings_03.jpg

Lockhouse
21st September 2016, 09:20
Am I just an old fuddy duddy? I find large visible tattoos challenging. I'm sure the person under them is normally lovely but it seems an own goal unless your career is a tattoo artist.

I hate the flipping things especially on women. To me it indicates the person is probably a bit thick or has low self-esteem.

NotAllThere
21st September 2016, 09:28
Don't care - so long as they can do the job. But I will be slightly smug in the knowledge that I can get a tattoo if I want to, but vice versa, they can't do so easily.

cojak
21st September 2016, 09:36
I hate the flipping things especially on women. To me it indicates the person is probably a bit thick or has low self-esteem.

Well, perceptions can deceive.

I have friends in the alt. scene and their tattoos are personal and mean something to them. None that I know have low self-esteem or are thick.

All though give not a flying feck what others think of them. :)

Lockhouse
21st September 2016, 09:47
I have friends in the alt. scene and their tattoos are personal and mean something to them.

What's an alt scene?

My cat means something to me but I wouldn't staple it to my chest.

ClothCap
21st September 2016, 09:47
But they are pointless though aren't they?

To me they show unoriginal, herd-like thinking - probably the opposite of the intention!

As Ozzy once said - if you want to stand out in LA try NOT having a tattoo.

And they go out of fashion, then what do you do?

original PM
21st September 2016, 09:55
The alt scene is generally for people who like piercings, tats, leather gear etc....

it so alternative they all look the same!

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 09:59
The old man had a bar code on his John Thomas.

The_Equalizer
21st September 2016, 10:12
Well, perceptions can deceive.

I have friends in the alt. scene and their tattoos are personal and mean something to them. None that I know have low self-esteem or are thick.

All though give not a flying feck what others think of them. :)

Is this not the whole point of the thread in that you need to consider what a future employer may think?

cojak
21st September 2016, 10:29
Is this not the whole point of the thread in that you need to consider what a future employer may think?

I had a permie mate who was in InfoSec. As a compromise he took out his piercings and buttoned up his shirt during the day - no one (managers or staff) had a problem with what he had under the shirt.

So if a company is short-sighted enough not to employ them they don't care, another company will take them on.

Mordac
21st September 2016, 10:31
Is this not the whole point of the thread in that you need to consider what a future client may think?

FTFY

Tats are "in" currently, but seeing as I have a needle phobia, I won't be getting one any time soon. I wouldn't judge anyone who chooses to have one or many, what people spend their hard-earned on is frankly their own business, and none of mine.

minestrone
21st September 2016, 10:42
Seen this chap once...

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article8193283.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Tom-Leppard.jpg

SueEllen
21st September 2016, 10:49

Depends who your future employer is though.

The_Equalizer
21st September 2016, 10:50
Depends who your future employer is though.

Absolutely.

Intel
21st September 2016, 10:54
It's all about professionalism. Whatever you do in your own time, to your own body is your business. But if you turn up to an interview with me, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, with upper arm tattoos and an unkempt beard you're likely to not get the job.

Shortest interview I ever did was that one at just under 12 minutes.....

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 10:57
It's all about professionalism. Whatever you do in your own time, to your own body is your business. But if you turn up to an interview with me, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, with upper arm tattoos and an unkempt beard you're likely to not get the job.

And I gave you the job too!

BrilloPad
21st September 2016, 11:09

sasguru was once in the toilets of a pub in Jamaica. He had "WY" tattooed on his penis. As did the Jamaican gentleman next to him. sasguru said "WY expands to Wendy when my penis is erect. Does your penis say the same?". The Jamaican replied it stood for "Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day".

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 11:13
sasguru was once in the toilets of a pub in Jamaica. He had "WY" tattooed on his penis. As did the Jamaican gentleman next to him. sasguru said "WY expands to Wendy when my penis is erect. Does your penis say the same?". The Jamaican replied it stood for "Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day".

That's nice. They should add those to the old man's in the Bumrungrad International Hospital Museum collection.

Bee
21st September 2016, 11:26
You don't need to take off your shirt for an interview, so what's the problem!

Because there are morons that don't accept visible tattoos don't do it, or if you find a retard you will suffer the consequences.

If the majority of the young people have tattoos, the next generation will be different, more open.

BrilloPad
21st September 2016, 11:29
You don't need to take off your shirt for an interview, so what's the problem!

I heard you had to take off more than your shirt to pass any interview...

Bee
21st September 2016, 11:31
I heard you had to take off more than your shirt to pass any interview...

Are you trolling?

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 11:32
Are you trolling?

Projecting.

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 11:35
Funny....one of the guys I contracted with before, who has become a good friend, looked completely straight and mild mannered.
Great at his role, very smart dressed, intellectual, didn't drink or do any drugs, not alternative in any perceivable way.

Was funny when I saw him in a T shirt and shorts as his whole legs and arms were done, good artwork too.

So......people shouldn't judge on appearances :smile

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 11:37

What do you mean "had" has it worn off, or did he have it removed :sick

vetran
21st September 2016, 11:51

That's some friction

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 11:52
That's some friction

Times are hard, if you will excuse the pun, lube expenditure has been cut back on :laugh

d000hg
21st September 2016, 11:56

am I just an old fuddy duddy?That seems to be the point of the article yes... they're no longer just for fishermen, ex-cons and weirdos but are mainstream. Common folk still have them, but now so do many university students, middle-class parents, etc.

That said I am in the same boat as you, if someone has big tats and loads of piercings I make assumptions before I get to know them.

BrilloPad
21st September 2016, 11:59
Are you trolling?

What is the difference between trolling and posting in general?

LondonManc
21st September 2016, 11:59
That's some friction

More to the point, did NLYUK make a beeping noise at every thrust?

BrilloPad
21st September 2016, 12:02
More to the point, did NLYUK make a beeping noise at every thrust?

Only for an extra 10p. Which means it cost 11p in total...

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 12:07

Have what removed?

MaryPoppins
21st September 2016, 12:14
But they are pointless though aren't they?

To me they show unoriginal, herd-like thinking - probably the opposite of the intention!

As Ozzy once said - if you want to stand out in LA try NOT having a tattoo.

And they go out of fashion, then what do you do?

Probably best to ensure you didn't get one for the sake of 'fashion', I guess. Having something slightly personal means it won't 'go out of fashion' and also that you're less likely to give a crap what others think.

I ensure mine aren't visible in a professional environment.

BrilloPad
21st September 2016, 12:15
Every woman should have a slag tag. It enables men to identify which women to approach to ask "how much luv".

:eyes

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 12:19
Every woman should have a slag tag. It enables men to identify which women to approach to ask "how much luv".

:eyes

Does the Official Receiver allow you expenditure on personal services? If so, let me know, as MF's 160 Russian Sailors @ £5 for £800 pd gig has fallen through.

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 12:40
Have what removed?

This :D

vetran
21st September 2016, 12:52
What is the difference between trolling and posting in general?

getting banned of course.

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 12:53
This :D

Let's just say yes, but the tattoo is still in place.

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 12:54
Where there's muck there's brass.

Your sig makes total sense now :D

vetran
21st September 2016, 12:56
I always thought it should be:

Where there's muck there's a brass.

northernladyuk
21st September 2016, 12:57
I always thought it should be:

Cheeky!

You're no better than you ought to be, anyway.

Mordac
21st September 2016, 13:05

Shortest interview I ever had was way less than that. First question was something like ("so how do you see your career prospects at Accenture?) Answer being I'm here for a 2 month project, if it overruns, your project manager is therefore a bit rubbish (and he was a total chunt).

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 13:08
Shortest interview I ever had was way less than that. First question was something like ("so how do you see your career prospects at Accenture?) Answer being I'm here for a 2 month project, if it overruns, your project manager is therefore a bit rubbish (and he was a total chunt).

No need to explain further :suicide:

LondonManc
21st September 2016, 13:09

If it doesn't overrun, Accenture haven't done their job properly. What an amateur.

MrMarkyMark
21st September 2016, 13:12
FTFY

If it doesn't fail to deliver anything at all and produce reams of useless and inaccurate documentation, Accenture haven't done their job properly.