• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap 4x4?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap 4x4?

I need a 4x4 for towing a small boat.

Anything I spend on it comes off my boat budget so ideally I don't want to spend more than £5k

I won't be doing long distances but need something a bit more comfortable than a Land Rover that can seat five.

I used to have a Mitsubishi L200 Crew Cab a few years ago. Any alternatives?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I need a 4x4 for towing a small boat.

Anything I spend on it comes off my boat budget so ideally I don't want to spend more than £5k

I won't be doing long distances but need something a bit more comfortable than a Land Rover that can seat five.

I used to have a Mitsubishi L200 Crew Cab a few years ago. Any alternatives?
    P38 Rangie? You can get one sub-£5K with reasonable mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Excellent call.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Mainly because it's not reliable enough to go very far...

There are also the Discovery, the older Jeep Cherokee or older Shogun that are tough and comfortable enough
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Mainly because it's not reliable enough to go very far...
          So true but the V8 in that paper weight is a monster ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Excellent call.
            V expensive to fix if anything goes pear shaped. Suspension is a big fail, but do a little googling and save yourself a ton. Go for a diesel model, cheaper to run and easier to service.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              V expensive to fix if anything goes pear shaped. Suspension is a big fail, but do a little googling and save yourself a ton. Go for a diesel model, cheaper to run and easier to service.
              You're right about the P38's famous suspension, but I think Lockhouse has a history with older motors so should be able to cope.

I say go for the 4.6. If you're going to do it, do it properly.

Comment

You're right about the P38's famous suspension, but I think Lockhouse has a history with older motors so should be able to cope.

I say go for the 4.6. If you're going to do it, do it properly.
                Yep, the HSE models are perfect for being dunked in sea water...

If we're going to be silly, how about this one.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

To me that's not silly, that's more like it!

Comment

Not stupid enough. Some silly bu66er has put an LPG kit on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X