PDA

View Full Version : So Slack

scooterscot
22nd September 2016, 07:18
For a number of years I've been hearing about this. A 'e-mail' killer. Yet as an independent worker I'm still struggling with getting others on-board.

Anyone else had success?

https://slack.com/is

garethevans1986
22nd September 2016, 07:32
For large teams it's a nice tool.

VectraMan
22nd September 2016, 07:49
ClientCo. have been using it for us "independent workers". It's okay. I'm not sure it offers any real advantage over doing the same in Skype, and in a way I prefer email as at least then you have time to think about your response (and have a record). As with any IM system when multiple people are talking it's very easy for the point to get lost and lose track of who's replying to whom.

MrMarkyMark
22nd September 2016, 07:53
ClientCo. have been using it for us "independent workers". It's okay. I'm not sure it offers any real advantage over doing the same in Skype, and in a way I prefer email as at least then you have time to think about your response (and have a record). As with any IM system when multiple people are talking it's very easy for the point to get lost and lose track of who's replying to whom.

Client Co uses Lync here :sick and all conversations are recorded?

jbond007
22nd September 2016, 07:57
I much prefer Lync/Skype for Business. Previous clientco had that and worked great for running meetings, quick catchups and remote working

Current client doesn't allow Lync/Skype for Business for contractors and I've seen a group of devs using slack to communicate with each other.

MrMarkyMark
22nd September 2016, 08:01
I much prefer Lync/Skype for Business. Previous clientco had that and worked great for running meetings, quick catchups and remote working

Current client doesn't allow Lync/Skype for Business for contractors and I've seen a group of devs using slack to communicate with each other.

That's very short sighted, very useful tool, for when an e mail is just not worth it :eyes

barrydidit
22nd September 2016, 08:07
I've seen a group of devs using CUK to communicate with each other.

FTFY

jbond007
22nd September 2016, 08:24
That's very short sighted, very useful tool, for when an e mail is just not worth it :eyes

Absolutely. Been raised a few times, but the clientco IT isn't willing to listen. So people just start to use workarounds

vetran
22nd September 2016, 08:26
live without IM??

:eek:eek:eek:eek

The Spartan
22nd September 2016, 08:29
We use Lync here and to be fair it's pony, I've found slack to be better and more user friendly. I still use it to keep in touch with other colleagues though and haven't found anything I dislike about it yet.

MrMarkyMark
22nd September 2016, 08:40
We use Lync here and to be fair it's pony, I've found slack to be better and more user friendly. I still use it to keep in touch with other colleagues though and haven't found anything I dislike about it yet.

True....love it that you have to reboot if it bombs out, as you cannot kill the process from the task manager. If you restart it, it just generates another .exe process.

:tantrum:

vetran
22nd September 2016, 08:46
will that make you a bunch of slackers?

The Spartan
22nd September 2016, 08:49
will that make you a bunch of slackers?

It sure does :laugh

LondonManc
22nd September 2016, 09:50
Disappointed at the title; thought it was going to be a thread comparing AndyW's mum to NLYUK

northernladyuk
22nd September 2016, 10:03
Disappointed at the title; thought it was going to be a thread comparing AndyW's mum to NLYUK

I was thinking something similar about the sores on your and MF's rectal prolapses.

woohoo
22nd September 2016, 10:22
I was thinking something similar about the sores on your and MF's rectal prolapses.

I've just been a little sick in my mouth. If there was a line you crossed it.

vetran
22nd September 2016, 10:23
I've just been a little sick in my mouth. If there was a line you galloped across it.

FTFY

nb this is General!

deebeegee
22nd September 2016, 10:25
It's in use within the dev team at current clientco. It works pretty well, although it'll never be google wave (still mourning).

MrMarkyMark
22nd September 2016, 10:27

Well, surely that's a good thing, if it made you drool you probably are unsafe to be in public and you should be locked up :D

t

LondonManc
22nd September 2016, 10:36

I've affectionately named mine assguru.

Hope the rash cleared up after your last encounter with MF ;)

DodgyAgent
22nd September 2016, 10:42
We have this amazing technology called a telephone :happy

northernladyuk
22nd September 2016, 10:45

That's a dog toy.

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/files/plush-dog-phone-toy.jpg

MrMarkyMark
22nd September 2016, 10:46

Well, if you are using mobiles and receiving those microwaves all the time, it explains why most of the agents I talk to are completely brain dead :laugh

e

d000hg
22nd September 2016, 10:55
It's quite neat BUT it's another proprietary, hosted tool. Plenty of open-source alternatives out there.

DodgyAgent
22nd September 2016, 11:01
Well, if you are using mobiles and receiving those microwaves all the time, it explains why most of the agents I talk to are completely brain dead :laugh

e

You should know that our brains are kept in our trousers/skirts :tongue so nowhere near the ears :happy

northernladyuk
22nd September 2016, 11:01
It's quite neat BUT it's another proprietary, hosted tool. Plenty of open-source alternatives out there.

Any good examples? Am looking for an open source enterprise messaging tool we can host ourselves for "business" purposes. Needs to be secure.

northernladyuk
22nd September 2016, 11:02
You should know that our brains are kept in out trousers so nowhere near the ears :happy

Well there's plenty of space so why not?

MrMarkyMark
22nd September 2016, 11:02
You should know that our brains are kept in out trousers so nowhere near the ears :happy

Ah......

Explains why you scratch the top of your head so much :rolleyes:

y

d000hg
22nd September 2016, 11:04
This article enthuses about good old IRC and seems to suggest Slack is solving a problem that doesn't really exist. Please don’t use Slack for FOSS projects - Drew DeVault’s Blog (http://sircmpwn.github.io/2015/11/01/Please-stop-using-slack.html)

I don't know I quite agree - and he is speaking specifically about FOSS - but we have been using chatrooms for decades quite happily. Others can probably comment on other alternatives.

original PM
22nd September 2016, 11:59
We use slack.

Have a channel hooked up to git so you can see deploys etc

also find it useful when we have a 'technical issue' the people fixing it keep posting short but regular updates on where they are

saves having some tit coming in every 5 minutes asking 'when is it going to be fixed' and 'can it be fixed any quicker'

northernladyuk
22nd September 2016, 11:59

You can be a whole lot sick in the old man's mouth for a fiver.