PDA

View Full Version : Are you middle class? (according to the Daily Mail)

DimPrawn
23rd September 2016, 07:11
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/23/01/article-3802979-38B2CFF900000578-979_636x501.jpg

I score 0% based on their criteria of owning dubious crap and being a brand whore.

I must therefore be upper class. I will check later with my butler.

MrMarkyMark
23rd September 2016, 07:38
Usual dross from the Wail.

Most of the %'s are so small, anyway, what on earth are they trying to prove?

The Aga is the most hilarious, I thought you were middle class if you had a Wimpy home, these days, nowhere near enough space to have an Aga.
They are normally sat in houses outside London, worth a lot more than the middle classes can afford.

My butler is now claiming that he is middle class, as I lend him the Brompton to get the groceries and I gave him a couple of Jam albums on vinyl :suicide:

vetran
23rd September 2016, 08:23
ah written by Mr Ettytwerp

The list was created by etiquette expert William Hanson for insurers esure. He said: ‘The middle classes have always been known for their love of material possessions and for keeping up with their neighbours, with suburban one-upmanship taking place on a daily basis.

WTFH
23rd September 2016, 08:27
I've got a Rayburn, came with the house. It's about 40 years old and runs on oil. Great when there's a power cut in winter, you still have a working cooker.
As for things like a "Smart TV", how many "lower class" people have them, and what about "upper class" ones?
Their question should be "do you read the Daily Mail?"
Answer Yes, you aspire to being upper middle class, but are actually a lower middle class snob with delusions of grandeur and believe that immigrants give you cancer while your house price is not affected by the tax credits you get (and tax reductions you make), but by the benefits cheats who make the headlines.

MrMarkyMark
23rd September 2016, 08:31
I've got a Rayburn, came with the house. It's about 40 years old and runs on oil. Great when there's a power cut in winter, you still have a working cooker.
As for things like a "Smart TV", how many "lower class" people have them, and what about "upper class" ones?
Answer Yes, you aspire to being upper middle class, but are actually a lower middle class snob with delusions of grandeur and believe that immigrants give you cancer while your house price is not affected by the tax credits you get (and tax reductions you make), but by the benefits cheats who make the headlines.

Great rant.

Welcome back :D

Halo Jones
23rd September 2016, 08:33

As for things like a "Smart TV", how many "lower class" people have them, and what about "upper class" ones?.

But now the readers can go ohh I have XYZ so I must be middle class or ohh I need XYZ to be middle class.

:eyes

WTFH
23rd September 2016, 08:34
Great rant.

Welcome back :D

I'm not back, just heading up towards the equator later today, then crossing it tomorrow to stay in a "tent" for a few days. Might be last chance at internet connection for a while.

LondonManc
23rd September 2016, 08:36

You can tell all that just from a photograph?

MrMarkyMark
23rd September 2016, 08:36
I'm not back, just heading up towards the equator later today, then crossing it tomorrow to stay in a "tent" for a few days. Might be last chance at internet connection for a while.

Enjoy, Africa bound?

:smokin

WTFH
23rd September 2016, 08:40
Technically speaking I'm in Africa, just not on the "mainland", but yes, Nairobi tonight, Samburu tomorrow, Masai Mara a few days later, after that finishing with a bit of charity work at an elephant orphanage.

LondonManc
23rd September 2016, 08:41
Technically speaking I'm in Africa, just not on the "mainland", but yes, Nairobi tonight, Samburu tomorrow, Masai Mara a few days later, after that finishing with a bit of charity work at an elephant orphanage.

Madawhohaa?

WTFH
23rd September 2016, 08:45
Madawhohaa?

No, about half an hour north of there by private plane. Close to Wadgamacaulit.

LondonManc
23rd September 2016, 08:46

Comoros?

northernladyuk
23rd September 2016, 08:47

A native of Chalamazug
Once fell overboard from a tug.
He cried, “Ding-dong boller
Doo jango zong zoller,”
Which means “Glug-glug glug glug-glug glug.”

LondonManc
23rd September 2016, 08:49
A native of Chalamazug
Doo jango zong zoller,”

A lighthouse keeper called Crichton
Met a young lady from Brighton
Boats ran aground,
Trawlermen drowned
Because she wouldn't have sex with the light on.

MrMarkyMark
23rd September 2016, 08:52
A native of Chalamazug
Doo jango zong zoller,”

Stick with the day, I mean, day and night job :laugh

TheCyclingProgrammer
23rd September 2016, 08:54
A hot tub is middle class? I couldn't think of anything chavvier...

WTFH
23rd September 2016, 08:55
Comoros?

That's South East of here. Also, if you're going to guess alphabetically, I'll be in Kenya before you get it.

LondonManc
23rd September 2016, 10:20
That's South East of here. Also, if you're going to guess alphabetically, I'll be in Kenya before you get it.

I was going for countries off the coast of east Africa but don't care enough to keep guessing at Zanzibar, Mafia Island, etc :p

d000hg
23rd September 2016, 10:42
Usual dross from the Wail.

The Aga is the most hilarious, I thought you were middle class if you had a Wimpy home, these days, nowhere near enough space to have an Aga.
They are normally sat in houses outside London, worth a lot more than the middle classes can afford.

My butler is now claiming that he is middle class, as I lend him the Brompton to get the groceries and I gave him a couple of Jam albums on vinyl :suicide:I guess it means the Richard Curtis view of middle-class... where everyone lives in a townhouse in Central London as in Love Actually.

Certainly Agas and stoves are becoming very popular but not in new-build estates! I think most of the houses we viewed recently had both but these are country houses.

ctdctd
23rd September 2016, 10:47

So you've found where MF flounced to then? :tongue

DodgyAgent
23rd September 2016, 12:27
You lot can howl and sneer all you like but you are all middle class :laugh:laugh

NotAllThere
23rd September 2016, 12:56
You lot can howl and sneer all you like but you are all middle class :laugh:laugh

northernladyuk isn't. She's definitely aristocracy.

barrydidit
23rd September 2016, 13:01

Nonsense. She ticked the 'smeg' box straight away.

northernladyuk
23rd September 2016, 13:01

But married down.

MrMarkyMark
23rd September 2016, 13:03
FTFY

northernladyuk isn't. She definitely puts out for aristocracy.

vetran
23rd September 2016, 13:03

no that's not what she meant when she said she was always on top of the Posh knobs.

northernladyuk
23rd September 2016, 13:06
no that's not what she meant when she said she was always on top of the Posh knobs.

As long as you've keep the Docks covered, you leave the business thinking to me, lovey.

vetran
23rd September 2016, 14:39
As long as you've keep the Docks covered, you leave the business thinking to me, lovey.

we are making a fortune the sailors seem to like AssGuru & MF double teaming.

I'm thinking of adding some class & getting a Couple of Mods to team up.Any suggestions?

DodgyAgent
23rd September 2016, 14:44

OK fair enough :o

northernladyuk
23rd September 2016, 14:52
we are making a fortune the sailors seem to like AssGuru & MF double teaming.

I'm thinking of adding some class & getting a Couple of Mods to team up.Any suggestions?

cojak is too high class for me, and WTFH too stupid (you run into legal problems around capacity to consent).

That leaves NAT and RH - not much cash to be made there my friend.

Admin does OK with the mumsy chubby chasing clientele.

d000hg
23rd September 2016, 14:58
I don't think anyone here seriously denies being middle class, assuming you include upwardly mobile working-class-come-good types in your definition of middle-class. Or do you think you have to have a middle-class upbringing to be middle-class?

DodgyAgent
23rd September 2016, 15:17
I don't think anyone here seriously denies being middle class, assuming you include upwardly mobile working-class-come-good types in your definition of middle-class. Or do you think you have to have a middle-class upbringing to be middle-class?

I think you are right. It includes the upwardly mobile plebs :happy

minestrone
23rd September 2016, 15:47
I find these daily Mail class critiques pretty funny, my favourite by far is...

Why patios, hanging baskets and a tidy lawn are a sign you're lower middle class | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3145685/How-posh-garden-patios-hanging-baskets-tidy-lawn-sign-lower-middle-class.html)