• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opening business bank account with HSBC - final stage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening business bank account with HSBC - final stage

So I have applied online to open a business bank account with HSBC (for my newly incorporated ltd). I went through the online process and now in the final stage I have telephone appointment for them to ask some more questions and inform me of their decision.

What should I expect? I don't want to be rejected for the wrong answer to a silly question, and go through all of it again with another bank. Any advice appreciated.

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    So I have applied online to open a business bank account with HSBC (for my newly incorporated ltd). I went through the online process and now in the final stage I have telephone appointment for them to ask some more questions and inform me of their decision.

What should I expect? I don't want to be rejected for the wrong answer to a silly question, and go through all of it again with another bank. Any advice appreciated.
    How do you answer with a wrong answer? You must tell the truth otherwise it is fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      How do you answer with a wrong answer? You must tell the truth otherwise it is fraud.
      +1

What are you worried about OP?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        +1

What are you worried about OP?
        Nothing except having to go through it again with another bank if for some reason the application gets rejected. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          Agreed. Tell the truth.

If for example they ask me: "What was your last direct debit that went out of your personal bank account you held with us before you closed it." I will definitely get it wrong.

I am just trying to find out about the type of questions they might ask and try to prepare up front.

Comment

their decision is yes, the remainder is covering their backs and fishing for products they can sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
              their decision is yes, the remainder is covering their backs and fishing for products they can sell you.
              That's encouraging. Thanks.

Comment

That's not true.

What they want to do is establish your identity, whether you are legally allowed to have a UK bank account and to ensure you won't get them hauled up before the authorities for turning out to be an international money-launderer or terrorist.

HSBC went through a phase of closing accounts of people it deemed "risky" a couple of years ago.

You need to take valid identification ( aka passport ) and several items with your home address on it. Driving license, bills, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  That's not true.

What they want to do is establish your identity, whether you are legally allowed to have a UK bank account and to ensure you won't get them hauled up before the authorities for turning out to be an international money-launderer or terrorist.

HSBC went through a phase of closing accounts of people it deemed "risky" a couple of years ago.

You need to take valid identification ( aka passport ) and several items with your home address on it. Driving license, bills, whatever.
                  Or more that they won't get hauled up because they've failed to identify that he's a dodgy person.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Also they check internet forums to see who's been asking how to dodge their "validation interviews". Apparently that's a red flag.

.. and they'll still try and sell you some house-insurance.

Comment

Working...
                    X