• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saddam to hang

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddam to hang

Can't quite work out why this government which is so anti capital punishment at home, should be applauding the death sentance in Iraq, even Beckett was saying it's a good thing...

Saddam Hussein, former Iraqi president: death by hanging
    Awad Hamed al-Bander, Chief Judge of Revolutionary Court: death by hanging
    Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, Saddam Hussein's half-brother: death by hanging
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

That’s the difference between verdict and sentence. They like the verdict, but don’t like the sentence.

Let’s hope we get the same result (verdict and sentence) when we put B’Liar and his cronies on trial for crimes against the British people.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

So, on top of everything else, they are going to make him a martyr.

Comment

Should have offered him saving life in exchange for begging on public TV - this would ruin his image, and then he can be executed.

A refreshing Russian approach to the problem.

Comment

Saddam to Hang

Good riddance.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
            Good riddance.
            What an amazing coincidence this verdict was handed down only two days before the US mid-term elections.

Reminds me of ancient Rome, where defeated leaders such as Vercingetorix were kept until the next big occasion, and then led through the streets in a triumphal procession before being strangled in the Tullian (AKA Mamertine) Prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Nipple Clamp
              What an amazing coincidence this verdict was handed down only two days before the US mid-term elections.
              Probably not enough to stop Bush getting something of a hammering on Tuesday. Hopefully, anyway.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I find the whole thing distasteful. Everyone crowing about how the verdict is a wonderful victory for freedom, but we invaded his country under false pretences, possibly illegally, and whether he was evil or not, that makes any moral claims we may make now utterly ludicrous.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

moral claims we may make now utterly ludicrous
                  A good point Lockhouse, and well made.

Makes one stop and think, doesn't it ?

I mean, we can't exactly claim the moral high ground any more in all of this can we ? We've really gone and buggered it up. Might as well finish it then.

So the only option is to nuke the rest of the god-forsaken place, pull out, and tell the yanks to feck off as well.

...cept our Generals haven't got any balls...
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
                    I find the whole thing distasteful. Everyone crowing about how the verdict is a wonderful victory for freedom, but we invaded his country under false pretences, possibly illegally, and whether he was evil or not, that makes any moral claims we may make now utterly ludicrous.
                    No it doesn't. Just because a criminal gets off on a technicality, does't make him innocent. Whether the invasion was iffy or not, doesn't make Saddam any less guilty.

Comment

Working...
                    X