• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are the implications of using an overseas composite company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the implications of using an overseas composite company

What are the implications of using an overseas composite company in an EU country that shares a dual tax treaty with the UK?

The people I am talking to suggest a payment of a small UK salary around £100 a week and the rest comes to me in dividends.

The dividend is subject to 35% tax in the overseas country and because I am non resident I receive a rebate that makes my effective tax rate 4.17%, but I am credited with having paid 35% tax on the dividend.

I would like to get peoples thoughts on this because it seems plausible, does anyone work through a similar foreign structure?

Thanks in advance

Mick
    Last edited by Mickmanus; 5 November 2006, 15:37. Reason: spelling mistakes corrected

Originally posted by Mickmanus
    What are the implications of using an overseas composite company in an EU country that shares a dual tax treaty with the UK?

The people I am talking to suggest a payment of a small UK salary around £100 a week and the rest comes to me in dividends.

The dividend is subject to 35% tax in the overseas country and because I am non resident I receive a rebate that makes my effective tax rate 4.17%, but I am credited with having paid 35% tax on the dividend.

I would like to get peoples thoughts on this because it seems plausible, does anyone work through a similar foreign structure?

Thanks in advance

Mick
    To be fair after having read all the options I just set up my own Ltd company. Its my bank account, my control and I can do with it (within reason) as I wish. More than 4% tax but only I have access to the accounts and I can pay dividends when I wish.

Comment

Seems it would only be worthwhile if your dividends take you over the top tax bracket ( about 38k ). Even then there are better ways of managing your finances without having to use overseas composites that will attract the attention of HMRC.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Hmmm.... sceptical to say the least! Just think of the back dated tax you'll have to cough up, once Hector closes in on this 'scheme' and it will be you, not the managers of the company running it that will foot the bill! Be careful!

Comment

Do you mean non resident in the UK or non resident in the other country.

If you are UK resident and domiciled you are required to declare and pay tax on all your world wide income.

If income received from a another county has had tax deducted in that country, generally you will receive relief based upon the tax *actually* paid, not based upon some made up amount that they say you owe, but that they let you off of paying.

HTH

tim

Comment

My understanding of it is you pay the 35% and receive a rebate of 30.83%, because of the dual tax agreement the rebate is not taxable, but you receive a tax credit of 35% because you have paid it.
            Last edited by Mickmanus; 6 November 2006, 14:02. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

I think it's worse than that. You pay the local tax and get a credit against your UK tax. If the tax you lay is a highger rate than UK then you dont get a rebate on what you paid over the odds you just dont get a tax bill in the UK.

If you are based in the UK in the top tax bracket ( 40%) and pay 35% tax on earnings via an offshore setup you are still liable for the remaining 5% in the UK.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                Do you mean non resident in the UK or non resident in the other country.

If you are UK resident and domiciled you are required to declare and pay tax on all your world wide income.

If income received from a another county has had tax deducted in that country, generally you will receive relief based upon the tax *actually* paid, not based upon some made up amount that they say you owe, but that they let you off of paying.

HTH

tim
                non resident in the other country

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mickmanus
                  non resident in the other country

Mick
                  Won't help you then, Mick. As has already been pointed out, the UK operates a mondiale tax system.

Comment

Working...
                  X