• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The sad decline of the British library

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went in to the local library this morning and they have opened up a benefits office in it. I'm standing looking at the books and I can hear "so have you got the letter from you GP" from over the barrier.

I thought the baby massage classes in the middle of the place were bad but WTF

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I went in to the local library this morning and they have opened up a benefits office in it.
    On a positive note, at least it got you into a library. Sign up for an adult literacy course and get a CV up together.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      On a positive note, at least it got you into a library. Sign up for an adult literacy course and get a CV up together.
      Is the court order forcing you to keep at least 100m from libraries still valid?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Is the court order forcing you to keep at least 100m from libraries still valid?
        Only within the Metropolitan Boroughs of Bolton, Salford and Wigan. Bloody pen-pushing bureaucrats. I could tell you a thing or two about some of them!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          I have my doubts that anyone in the queue could read or write English.

Comment

The council have a similar office in our local library.

When I moved I tried to adjust my council tax when I moved. Did it all on the phone & they mucked it up.
            The only way I could see a real person and pay before they started ruining my credit rating was to go to the Library. Lady was very helpful but had a queue 10 deep.

Good idea but understaffed, they closed the council office of course.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have my doubts that anyone in the queue could read or write English.
              you had that as well?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Get a pass and head to the reading rooms you pleb. The rest is for tourists and now benefit claimants / contractors on the bench.

Comment

Comment

MF walked into his local library yesterday lunchtime, went up to the counter and asked "Can I have four family buckets of chicken wings?"

The librarian scowled at him and said, "This is a library!"

So MF said, "Sorry, can I have four family buckets of chicken wings?"

Comment

Working...
                    X