• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reproducing content from 3rd party websites - copyright, legality etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reproducing content from 3rd party websites - copyright, legality etc

I have a potential client who wants a one page newsletter printed out every morning for a daily staff briefing.

This will be CMS hosted as there are bits that will be manually edited on a daily basis. The tricky bit is that they want the latest market data via an RSS feed. So I look at all these news RSS feeds & it's all unsurprisingly very restrictive - personal use only, not for commercial use, must use provider's logos etc.

I haven't looked into how much a licence would be from, say , the FT but this is a private project from which I don't expect to have a huge profit margin so I don't want to go down that road yet.

What I'm thinking about is the legality of setting up my own personal blog with the FT (or whatever) feed embedded (which would satisfy their T&Cs) and then creating my own RSS from my blog with the desired content which will be consumed in my client's CMS solution.

This still feels dodgy though.

If only there were some decent creative licence financial news feeds out there.....

Any you folks done anything similar?
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 4 October 2016, 12:34.

Depending on your definition of market, it may be possible to get what you want from Yahoo Finance API. Far as I know it's free and unrestricted.

Using the Yahoo Finance API for CSV « Jarloo
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Fact can't be copyrighted.

The only exception is the football fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Depending on your definition of market, it may be possible to get what you want from Yahoo Finance API. Far as I know it's free and unrestricted.

Using the Yahoo Finance API for CSV « Jarloo
        Thanks. They want top financial story too i.e. a headline plus teaser text / summary. Only the RSS feeds from FT/Reuters etc seem to give this & I haven't found any whose T&Cs allow me to do what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          Thanks. They want top financial story too i.e. a headline plus teaser text / summary. Only the RSS feeds from FT/Reuters etc seem to give this & I haven't found any whose T&Cs allow me to do what I want.
          If you spent a couple of million a week gathering data and turning it into information, would you give it away for free...?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            Reproducing content from 3rd party websites
            IIRC, NLUK is the guy to ask about this

Comment

They can't stop you using the links with the page title. After all that is how the internet is designed to work.

Using the summary is probably not OK. But to be honest it wouldn't stop me.

Comment

Working...
              X