• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it because I aint Egyptian?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it because I aint Egyptian?

A play set in Ancient Egypt was cancelled because the cast was too white

A play which showed two people from different countries falling in love in Ancient Egypt has been cancelled by Music Theatre Bristol, after complaints that white people would be guilty of cultural appropriation if they played the characters.

The upcoming production of Aida was voted in by members of the company, however the decision has been made that it will not be presented to the general public. Music Theatre Bristol (MTB) initially said: “The show set in Ancient Egypt is about a war between two countries and, as a result of the enslavement of one country, the two lovers of the story cannot be together due to their responsibilities to their countries as different nationalities.”
    well that's the Mikado stuffed then. FFS
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Boot polish?

Comment

after complaints that white people would be guilty of cultural appropriation if they played the characters.
      Dear Vetran,

Totally the right decision. Sounds like an absolute disgrace.

Love and Kisses,

Digusted

Berkhamsted
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Dear Vetran,

Totally the right decision. Sounds like an absolute disgrace.

Love and Kisses,

Digusted

Berkhamsted
        surely Berkshire Hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I see Bristol's vying with Brighton again for the title of UK tw*t central.

Anyway shouldn't all opera's be performed by Italians as they invented the art form?

Comment

How The Donmar's production of Julius Caesar would go down in Bristol is anybody's guess.

Julius Caesar without a winkle?! Julius Caesar was a man!! It's heresy!!!
            I imagine they'd be spinning like tops with that one...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              How The Donmar's production of Julius Caesar would go down in Bristol is anybody's guess.

I imagine they'd be spinning like tops with that one...
              I suppose its a response to the original plays being all male if a few hundred years too late. Of course its "ground breaking if you aren't a yank.

I preferred these :

All-Female Nude Shakespeare Performance Planned For Prospect Park « CBS New York

Comment

I really want to run a cultural appropriation evening sometime at a night club. Everyone has to turn up dressed in the garb of some ethnic minority.

The left would go ballistic.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I really want to run a cultural appropriation evening sometime at a night club. Everyone has to turn up dressed in the garb of some ethnic minority.

There's always the cuk Christmas party. Make a change from a dozen overweight gladiators I expect

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

You need to get a few ethnic minorities to turn up as stereotypical English men e.g. David Cameron, Nigel Farage, Tony Blair
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X