PDA

View Full Version : Indian call centres in the news

CoolCat
5th October 2016, 17:24
Police in India detain 750 over US call centre scam - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37564408)

RetSet
5th October 2016, 19:09
Police in India detain 750 over US call centre scam - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37564408)

I'm surprised the Beeb allowed itself to publish such blatant racist lies... :D

TestMangler
5th October 2016, 19:11
Innocent explanation. It's part of the four week computer science degree they were doing, prior to getting ICT Visas to work for Lloyds and RBS.

greenlake
5th October 2016, 19:24

That's what happens when the US offshores its Indians....

http://i.imgur.com/ne92l6o.jpg

vetran
5th October 2016, 19:49
People with just the right amount of stupid

In some cases, the victims were duped into buying gift vouchers from different companies and bullied into revealing voucher ID numbers, police said.
The scammers then made purchases with the voucher numbers.

SueEllen
5th October 2016, 20:19
People with just the right amount of stupid

If their IRS are anything like their police officers I can see why people did what they said.

NigelJK
6th October 2016, 07:16
The real issue there again resides in the US. Where did the list of "150,000 tax defaulters" come from then?

LondonManc
6th October 2016, 10:21
The real issue there again resides in the US. Where did the list of "150,000 tax defaulters" come from then?

Talk Talk?

BrilloPad
6th October 2016, 10:22
The Nigerians are offshoring their operations?

MrMarkyMark
6th October 2016, 10:28

Most likely an Excel sheet :rolleyes:

Mordac
6th October 2016, 14:34
They're trying it over here now. Just had a call from a machine telling me HMRC has just filed a lawsuit, press 1 etc...
Pressed 1 for the fun of it, got a Bob, hung up. HMRC are aware apparently, but the feckers are getting their info from somewhere. Offshorers will be first against the wall when I get to power. :bang:

cojak
6th October 2016, 16:17
I solve this by never answering my landline...

SueEllen
6th October 2016, 16:40

Loads of people don't now.

woohoo
6th October 2016, 18:58

Good idea, also you will avoid any vengeful Japanese spirit that wants to give you 7 days to live.

Big Blue Plymouth
6th October 2016, 19:13
Bastards now seem to have a trick whereby they spoof a local number.

I see my local STD code & I think it's going to be the opticians ringing about my prescription or something & there's somebody on the line from Bangalore instead.

I don't even talk, just put the phone straight down.

I thought I'd subscribed to some BT service that blocked all that cr@p :mad:

_V_
6th October 2016, 21:00
I have fibre broadband, no landline, no monthly landline rental, no cold calls, or other spam callers.

Mobile only, easy to block numbers and put the call on silent or press ignore.

tarbera
6th October 2016, 21:12
Innocent explanation. It's part of the four week computer science degree they were doing, prior to getting ICT Visas to work for Lloyds and RBS.

Brilliant and so true

darrylmg
6th October 2016, 22:05
I see my local STD code & I think it's going to be the opticians...

Should have gone to Spec... oh wait :p

vetran
6th October 2016, 22:45
Bastards now seem to have a trick whereby they spoof a local number.

I see my local STD code & I think it's going to be the opticians ringing about my prescription or something & there's somebody on the line from Bangalore instead.

I don't even talk, just put the phone straight down.

I thought I'd subscribed to some BT service that blocked all that cr@p :mad:

Hi I'm Dave I have Herpes

NotAllThere
7th October 2016, 07:58
Mobile only, easy to block numbers and put the call on silent or press ignore.My VDSL router also handles telephony - similarly easy to block numbers, number ranges. Any number withheld calls go straight to answer machine.

WTFH
7th October 2016, 08:07
Hi I'm Dave I have Herpes

Quoting for future reference.

tomtomagain
7th October 2016, 08:09

Landlines are broken.

In this day-and-age why would anyone want a device in their house that's sole use is to allow fraudsters to contact them directly?

Even my ageing parents now usually call me on my mobile.

Literally the only calls I get on my home phone are:

PPI Insurance, Something about "An accident I had that wasn't my fault" ( I had a crash 4 years ago. It was entirely my fault ) and some helpful chap with a thick accent from Microsoft Support Center telling me they've detected a problem with my computer.