• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Hire for 3 to 6 month contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Hire for 3 to 6 month contract

Hi All

Anyone got an recommendations for websites / companies that deal with car hire for 3 to 6 month contract?

Driving a total 90 - 100 miles every working day inclusive there and back

Looking for a compact car for a laptop and one suitcase. I might be tempted to hire a crossover SUV thing for just 1 month in order to check them out.

I looked into a longer term rental when I started contracting a few months ago, because I didn't want to get into a lease straight away.

I looked at the likes of Hertz, Avis etc, but found it very expensive, compared to my other option....buy my permie company car off of my employer. At least I knew its history.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
      Hi All

Anyone got an recommendations for websites / companies that deal with car hire for 3 to 6 month contract?

Looking for a compact car for a laptop and one suitcase. I might be tempted to hire a crossover SUV thing for just 1 month in order to check them out.
      I'm using herz.
      ~£500 p/28 days, for just over 2000 miles a month in a diesel focus.
      If you go for some company offering unlimited mileage, make sure you read the small print about fair use.
      Herz were able to offer me some leeway. So mowt compqnies probably can too.
      Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I've used Autohorn for something similar. Not the cheapest thing you'll ever do no matter how you do it, but very good service and a nice selection of cars. My only issue with them is that they're based in York and charge a hefty delivery fee - they also switch cars every 3 or 4 months (You might be able to discuss this with them now you know) and charge you delivery for that privilege.

When I was looking it worked out a lot better than rental companies, though. You do have to self insure, though.

You'll need to get in touch for the latest lease list, but they're very low pressure.
        Last edited by vwdan; 6 October 2016, 10:12.

Comment

Hi All

I know this isn't quite answering your question, but wouldn't you be better off buying a £1000 Focus/Mondeo? You will then make money on the 45p per mile and after 6 months own an asset that may well be worth almost the same as you paid for it.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I know this isn't quite answering your question, but wouldn't you be better off buying a £1000 Focus/Mondeo? You will then make money on the 45p per mile and after 6 months own an asset that may well be worth almost the same as you paid for it.

Providing it gets him there to both "earn" those miles and his day rate

Obviously, it has to be a reliable runner
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Mondeo man! It's actually not my style. [There is another recent forum thread talking about a contractor arriving at the client in fantastic new car instead of an old banger / 10 year old license plate!]

Actually, I went with Enterprise rent a car and I chose a 28 day package that I can extend month to month. My notice period is 4 weeks, so this is ideal for me on this current contract. Down South, where I live, I could have rented a Focus or similar for about £550 per month. However, I chose an SUV model for an extra £150 per month. My ulterior motive was to trial this class of car/crossover for one month with the intention, in the mid-term, buying one or leasing one in the mid-term future.

Comment

£550 a month - you could lease a decent-spec Tesla for that - <heads for Tesla Configurator>

Comment

Hi All

Buy a Ford Fiesta diesel for £3000, use it for three months, flog it for £2700. Job done.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Mondeo man! It's actually not my style.
                    The answer then becomes easy, yours for around £550 per day

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X