• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Fens vol. CCCLIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Fens vol. CCCLIV

In the bugfixing stage at ClientCo. Every one reminds me I should have been more assertive in demanding a test-driven approach in the first place
    • Cape Adare - Maciej Cegłowski, who has previously appeared here talking about accidentally wandering into a top secret Chinese research establishment and the glories of Argentinian steaks, has now taken a trip to the Antarctic: ”When I get down to the floor, the metal chair rushes over to greet me. We have a brief and painful reunion before I can imprison it under the desk. Then I feel around in the darkness for shoes and a minimal amount of clothing… Putting on my pants means hopping on one foot while I get smashed against all four walls of the cabin in sequence. The brochure did not dwell on these aspects of Antarctic adventure travel. At least the painful smashing distracts me from the urge to vomit.”

• What did the Nazis know about the Manhattan Project? - "The primary motivation of much Manhattan Project secrecy was to keep the Germans from finding out that the United States and United Kingdom were feverishly working on developing nuclear weapons. So it seems a pretty sensible question to ask: Did it work? That is, did the secrecy keep the Germans from knowing about Allied progress on the bomb?" Alex Wellerstein examines the evidence of what the Nazis knew.

• The Power Jack 3500 Watt Inverter: Buyers beware!!! - "In late 2008 I needed to buy a high power true sine wave inverter, for an alternative energy scheme… The price seemed right, and Power Jack made a lot of advertising telling that their product was much better than the typical Chinese ones. I bought that, and I bought the inverter. And I got cheated real good. It has often been said that one gets what one pays for. Not so! I paid good, real, decent money for this inverter, and got a piece of crap, if you excuse the expression, which needed a complete re-engineering and reconstruction to become usable.” A cautionary tale, and an interesting explanation of utterly crap hardware and how to fix it.

• The mystery of the 'ghost trees' may be solved - The strange case of the albino redwoods: ”Albinos are exceedingly rare - there are only 406 in existence, by Moore's latest count. And redwoods as a species are notoriously complex. The trees' genomes have 32 billion base pairs to humans' 3.2 billion, and they carry six copies of each chromosome instead of two. No one has successfully sequenced the redwood genome, making it impossible to pinpoint the mutation that causes their albinism… Vast rings of related plants communicate via their roots, and during the hard months of winter and early spring, they'll distribute nutrients evenly among themselves. Scientists have spilled dye onto trees at one end of a grove and traced it through the root network all the way to the other side.”

• A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold - Alex Cavendish on deaths in British prisons: ”In this blog post I am going to discuss the issue of deaths in custody, especially cases where prisoners have taken their own lives and I apologise in advance if some readers find these subjects distressing. I know that I do. In the specific case that I deal with towards the end of this post I have been careful to withhold details that might lead to the identification of one particular young man – someone I knew personally – in order to protect his family. Details of this case are particularly graphic and involve a violent sexual assault, so please be warned before reading further.”

• Can we open the black box of AI? - Davide Castelvecchi on the odd situation that while deep learning systems such as neural networks can do amazing things, we don’t actually know how they work once they’ve been trained: ”Everything seemed to go well — until one day the Humvee approached a bridge and suddenly swerved to one side. He avoided a crash only by quickly grabbing the wheel and retaking control… Such networks are also as opaque as the brain. Instead of storing what they have learned in a neat block of digital memory, they diffuse the information in a way that is exceedingly difficult to decipher. Only after extensively testing his software's responses to various visual stimuli did Pomerleau discover the problem: the network had been using grassy roadsides as a guide to the direction of the road, so the appearance of the bridge confused it.”

• Code of Silence - "Two Chicago police officers uncovered a massive criminal enterprise within the department. Then they were hung out to dry."

• The oldest computer in use by the federal government has been found - "If you want to find the oldest computers in government, then you might as well just wait until government up and decides to find them all itself. So congratulations everybody, we found all of them! Well, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) did." Allan Lasser examines some of the oddities uncovered in the GAO report, including air conditioning systems controlled by Commodore Amigas.

• Ketchup Physics 101 - ”Ketchup is one of the world’s perfect foods. It’s salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami all at once. You can eat it on almost anything… Its one flaw? It can be tricky to get out of the bottle, especially if the bottle is glass. Why? Like with much of life, it all comes down to physics. We asked illustrator Lucas Adams to take a look at the history of the ketchup bottle, and the science contained within."

• Shopfront Elegy - Vici MacDonald photographs commercial premises frontages. This Bargain Booze in Liverpool has had two of its letters nicked, possibly by the AA:

Happy invoicing!

Sod being more assertive, trying that to people who think they know better than you is a great recipe for getting marched straight off-site.

Far better to keep the emails and wear your best 'I told you so' face.

(Oh, and another set of great links, btw!)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Sod being more assertive, trying that to people who think they know better than you is a great recipe for getting marched straight off-site.

Far better to keep the emails and wear your best 'I told you so' face.

(Oh, and another set of great links, btw!)
      Reminds me of a comment from a very nice fresh faced Accenture chap recently.

Him - "You said that it wouldn't work 3 years ago"

Me - "Not completely true, I actually said I knew it wouldn't work 3 years ago"

Its a shame that many, many, millions were wasted in the mean time

I was told at the time - "It has to work and they are never going to do it your way, it's political"
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So unit testing is about testing then! I feel like I've won or lost an argument on another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          [*]The mystery of the 'ghost trees' may be solved - The strange case of the albino redwoods: ”Albinos are exceedingly rare - there are only 406 in existence, by Moore's latest count. And redwoods as a species are notoriously complex. The trees' genomes have 32 billion base pairs to humans' 3.2 billion, and they carry six copies of each chromosome instead of two. No one has successfully sequenced the redwood genome, making it impossible to pinpoint the mutation that causes their albinism… Vast rings of related plants communicate via their roots, and during the hard months of winter and early spring, they'll distribute nutrients evenly among themselves. Scientists have spilled dye onto trees at one end of a grove and traced it through the root network all the way to the other side.” ...
          It's amazing how many genes some plants seem to need, unless they simply accumulate loads of extra, er, "dead wood" genes that they don't use at all.

I read somewhere that plants in the grass family also have many times the number of genes (not just chromosome copies) as animals, including ourselves.

(Grass, including wheat, rice, bamboo, etc is apparently the most advanced kind of plant and only evolved about 60 million years ago, at the end of the Cretaceous.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Am I the only one who finds that "ketchup valve" to be MORE tricky than a normal squeezy bottle? You have to exert quite high pressure with nothing happening, before it suddenly ejaculates violently all across your plate and often, table.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Am I the only one who finds that "ketchup valve" to be MORE tricky than a normal squeezy bottle? You have to exert quite high pressure with nothing happening, before it suddenly ejaculates violently all across your plate and often, table.
              I'm also rather dubious about the extravagant claims made for it, though it's still better than what came before

Comment

The oldest computer in use by the federal government has been found - "If you want to find the oldest computers in government, then you might as well just wait until government up and decides to find them all itself. So congratulations everybody, we found all of them! Well, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) did." Allan Lasser examines some of the oddities uncovered in the GAO report, including air conditioning systems controlled by Commodore Amigas.
                I know where that is as I've been there! Some years ago we provided support for this and I happened to be in the USA with the company who provided and supported the system. As I knew both the underlying hardware and OS I was invited to go along. Getting into the place is quite daunting and is something like an old 70's sci-fi film. You can't take an electronic equipment with you, no pens and only a pencil and paper which is highly scrutinised. It was an interesting experience which I was hoping to repeat here in Germany later (providing systems for AWACs and submarines but the contract holder decided their system was better than ours although my PoC played very well and was cheaper!) I might even still be providing services to our cousins over the water, possibly...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm also rather dubious about the extravagant claims made for it, though it's still better than what came before
                  Didn't someone also create a special lining for glass bottles that meant the ketchup flooded right out?

"Ketchup water" is something I have a bit of a thing about though, makes me feel a bit ill when it dribbles on my food.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Didn't someone also create a special lining for glass bottles that meant the ketchup flooded right out?

"Ketchup water" is something I have a bit of a thing about though, makes me feel a bit ill when it dribbles on my food.
                    A while back I saw somebody on Twitter refer to it as "ketchup precum" if that makes it any better

Comment

Working...
                    X