• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recovering unpaid debt from overseas client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering unpaid debt from overseas client

A couple of years ago I built a web app for a Spanish client who I knew from previous employment. Basically it was a replica of an existing system they had used previously, but all written from scratch so it was legit (there are many similar sites out there, but that's not the issue, it's just a bit of background).

Financial arrangement was that I built it with no up-front fees, they would then pay two invoices per month for the first 24 months - one for hosting/support and another as a license fee. After the two years they would then own the software and I would continue charging the hosting/support (one invoice).

Their business isn't hugely profitable and, for one reason or another they were often only able to pay me one invoice instead of two, to the point where they now owe me >£8k in unpaid invoices. I have a good relationship with them but obviously this isn't great for me and I have tried on many occasions to get them to pay me what they owe, even in installments so it's manageable, but this never seems to get anywhere.

My dilemma is that hosting the system is a negligible cost and their support requirements are practically non-existent (I've not had to do anything in over 12 months), so the money they *do* pay is cash in the bank, and realistically I consider that I'm in profit for the venture against time spent building it. However I would obviously like this money paid since it was agreed and in writing.

Having access to the system I can see it runs at a very marginal profit, perhaps even occasionally a loss once overheads (my invoices plus staffing costs etc) are factored in. I strongly suspect that if I threatened to shut it down, it might be a trigger for them to just fold the business and I'd be left not only chasing them for the capital owed, but losing out on the on-going monthly payments I do still receive. Given they are based in Spain I think I would struggle to force payment via a legal route and having successfully taken a UK business to small claims court before and still failed to get a penny out of them, I am skeptical of a positive outcome, so the leverage I always expected to have by being in control of the site doesn't seem so useful to me now.

Options then, seem to be:

a) Do nothing. Keep taking/chasing money every month and be happy it's something for effectively no work. Accept that I will probably never recover the full debt.

b) Get legal advice and try and pursue the debt while keeping the system going and hope it might get me paid.

c) Threaten/carry out the intention of stopping their site (it's in my full control, and legally they are in breach of contract due to the unpaid invoices) and hope this gets the debt paid but accept they may fold and run, leaving me with either the legal route or writing it all off.

I realise I've been a bit remiss in allowing the debt to accrue, but this happened fairly slowly and always with promises of them addressing the situation so I let things slide.

Personally I'd go a), I like money for no work. Can you talk to them though and explain you are still owed money? Maybe increase your monthly fee and explain you are willing to let go the outstanding money. This way they keep in profit you get more money and you may even recoup your fee eventually

Comment

A is where I'm at now. I just can't decide if I'm being naive/lazy in not pursuing the debt more aggressively. When I've told friends about it, their initial reaction is that I'm crazy to let that amount of money just sit there, but of course I have chased it hence the dilemma.

Comment

From what you've said, I don't see this is something you can collect. It's nice your friends think you should chase the money, but if all that ends up doing is killing the revenue stream you have, what have you gained? You've established the money is due. If the thing ever becomes profitable enough that they can afford to pay it, you'll have the leverage to get paid. Keep the revenue stream you have and hope it grows some day to the point where you can collect the rest. Send a statement showing the amount still due every six or twelve months, but don't rock the boat. Maybe they'll someday decide to pay it, maybe not. But at least you'll be able to show you've kept this debt alive while waiting for the business to become more profitable.

The whole thing might help a little if you are ever investigated for IR35, too. The old Business Entity Test told us that HMRC considers bad debt an indicator of a business, rather than disguised employment. So if you have an old outstanding debt, and you have regular revenue coming in outside your current contract, it could help you. It won't change an open and shut case, of course.

I assume you booked the revenue when you invoiced it, and so have actually already paid corporation tax on it.

Comment

Yeah that's basically my thinking too. A bird in the hand and all that. What I have now is a revenue stream which is better than nothing.

In some respects it's a shame I set this up under a separate LTD from my contracting business, otherwise I suppose I could offset the loss against CT but I was advised to keep them separate on the off chance any legal action was taken, to protect my contracting revenue which is obviously significantly higher.

To be honest I have tried to help them grow the business and the frustrating thing is I know if I gave them more help it could probably do better, but I'm loathed to put the effort in when they're already in my debt, with no guarantee I would ever get my time repaid, it could just be throwing valuable time away.

Comment

You're in profit and you're making money, wait until they stop paying and then chase once the revenue has dried up. No harm in sending friendly reminders. I think if you play hard ball now you'll have more money to chase. As you say if they paid you what they owe you their business ceases to be viable. The fact that they're still paying shows good faith, they're obviously hard up.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing at all. A degree of pragmatism is required here, I feel.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
              X