• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Extension Thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Extension Thoughts

So Mrs K78 would like to extend our current family room and bedroom above by approx. 60sq ft above and below. However 2 estate agents and an architect have advised that doing this will not increase the value of the house, as we are not adding new rooms.

Cost we estimate is approx. £50k, the benefit of doing this being will be in gaining additional room space and therefore more comfortable living.

But am struggling to justify the cost for no return in terms of value increase. Has anyone been in this situation before ?
    Last edited by kaiser78; 11 October 2016, 15:49. Reason: 60sq ft not 10sq ft !

10sq ft ?

Comment

50k?!?! That seems a lot for an extension. And for no benefit? Not a chance. I'd move rather than do that TBH but we don't know a thing about your personal circumstances etc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        10sq ft ?
        Oops apologies - it is about 60sq ft !! I'll edit it !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          50k?!?! That seems a lot for an extension. And for no benefit Not a chance. I'd move rather than do that TBH but we don't know a thing about your personal circumstances etc.
          This +all the upheaval it will cause?

No Thanks
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Surely proper contractors think about adding a new wing to their residencies, not a slightly bigger room?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It depends a lot on what other homes are available in your area. It would have cost us 30k just to move but in the end all the houses we saw were more expensive than we wanted to spend (800k +) with smaller rooms than our place so we didn't bother.

What we did see though was a number of homes that had very badly thought out extensions tagged on and even more that had been proudly shown to us by vendors as just renovated / improved while I was sat looking at them thinking "what the ferret were they thinking when they did that?? Now I need to knock the lot down and then do it properly.

So beware what a muppet and a fag packet can do is not the same as a decent architect.

Comment

50k for very little gain......ouch? Why not look at what you can buy nearby for $valueOfHouse + 50k?

Why's it 50k, though - that feels very expensive in its own right. 120sqft ~ 11sqmt = £4500 per square meter. I'd have thought £2-3k per square meter is more reasonable (for a good job with nice f&f). And that's ******* generous, given there's no bathroom and I'm just basing it on sheer volume, rather than assuming the second story should be less.
                Last edited by vwdan; 11 October 2016, 16:15.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  50k for very little gain......ouch? Why not look at what you can buy nearby for $valueOfHouse + 50k?

Why's it 50k, though - that feels very expensive in its own right. 120sqft ~ 11sqmt = £4500 per square meter. I'd have thought £2-3k is more reasonable (for a good job with nice f&f)
                  The beams to support the current load bearing wall will cost that by itself...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    The beams to support the current load bearing wall will cost that by itself...
                    I had to read your post twice, but...corrected

Comment

Working...
                    X