• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

League or Union

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League or Union

Which is the better game?
    League
    18.42%
    Union
    81.58%
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Where is the "I don't care about sport" option?

Comment

I am andyW

HTH

Comment

Ah now this is tricky. League is much much better to watch and seeing as my old man comes from one of the founding clubs home town I should really vote for league.

However, having been raised in the South I managed to play union at county level and prefer to play that code. Also, nobody will bat an eyelid when we win the Tri-Nations but the country took note after Johnny's drop kick.

I'd like to say league but have voted union. Hope my old man doesn't find out!

Comment

League is boring - up and back, up and back, with that silly bouncing up and down thing that they do after they get tackled.

Union has so many vaguaries and nuances in the rules that you're never quite sure what's going on and therefore there is never a shortage of things to argue about at the pub or to justify why your team lost.

No contest really.

By the way I recommend buying one of those radios at the ground that lets you listen to the refs microphones - turns you into an instant guru.

Comment

The truely great thing about Union is that people of all shapes can play it at a reasonable level. I mean...when was the last time you saw a fattie trundling down the field in international poofball?

The other great thing about Union is that no one f8cks with the ref. Lay a hand on him and you are out of the game for life!

What was that poofball numpty who a couple weeks ago was saying he wished the refs were like rugby refs. I was thinking to myself "no you dont son, you'd spend more time in the sinbin than actually playing the game if the refs were the same".

Having said that, after Masons punch which was followed by a head high we can see that old soccer refs never die...they just become rugby league refs!

Mailman

Comment

Very good No.9 mate. Can't wait for you to retire!
              You're right about Union but sometimes a simple free-flowing league game without all the stiffling rules can be more fun. The ref did his absolute best to ruin the last Union world cup final which is somehting you dont tend to get in league.

I like 'em both. League's easier to get into than union but union draws the most passion.. and makes me shout at everyone and everything about how the f@?~ Charlie Hodgson keeps getting selected.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
                By the way I recommend buying one of those radios at the ground that lets you listen to the refs microphones - turns you into an instant guru.
                It also helps when you know enough french to be shouting "no try, 5 meter scrum" before everyone else around you got the English translation!

Mailman

Comment

So the fact that a fatty can play Union at a semi decent level makes it a better game?

I'm still trying to get my head round that one.

League as a spectacle is everything Union wants to be. Granted it has never made it's mark internationally in the same way Union has but that's more to do with the fact that it's just too tough a game for the vast majority of the population.

Comment

League is by far the better game IMHO - ignore what DodgyAgent says, he's an advocate of "Kick Tennis".

Comment

Working...
                    X