• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please Help! Referencing issues....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help! Referencing issues....

So I am going through referencing for my new role which starts very shortly. As a contractor we all know that we work away from home 5 days a week then return back to our permenent address on the friday usually to return back to work on the Monday. I have been asked by my agency to provide addresses of where I have been staying during various contracts....even though this is temporary do they need to know my place of residence mon to fri? They already have details of my permenent address history.

The other issue that they have flagged is that there has been a feq gaps in my employment history and I have verified this with my bank statements but now they have come back to me to say that they want to know details of all credits over £100 going back to 2013!! Nevwr experienced this before...any advice? Why do they need to know details of this its very invasive and none of their business. Im not applying for a bloody mortgage!

But if you are working closely with finance apps you'll need to be checked for more than you would a mortgage.

Some of these checks can be pretty onerous but this one does sound more in depth than most. I'd certainly be asking the agent to provide you with more than just questions. I'd like to see some paperwork requesting this or a lot more detail why. It's not too far from the realms of possibilty they could actually need it but I'd like to know more.

I'd also be reminding them about data protection and asking what they are going to do with it when they are done as well.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like total bulltulip to me

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        But if you are working closely with finance apps you'll need to be checked for more than you would a mortgage.

Some of these checks can be pretty onerous but this one does sound more in depth than most. I'd certainly be asking the agent to provide you with more than just questions. I'd like to see some paperwork requesting this or a lot more detail why. It's not too far from the realms of possibilty they could actually need it but I'd like to know more.

I'd also be reminding them about data protection and asking what they are going to do with it when they are done as well.
        Seriously though....asking for information on what the credits were over 100 quid. That is what financial crime investigators working for the NCA deal with! Doesnt feel right....and its not as if they can trace where the money even came from they dont have the systems for that. Why would they want to though. Dont get it at all.

Comment

Me neither but I don't know anything about how the process works. If it's risk based and you are borderline they may have to go to a new level. I dunno. Best ask them in the morning.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When I've had to go through background checks with banks, this wasn't done with the agent. It's usually a department of the bank or a 3rd party. The agent may chase me up but i wouldn't send anything to them.

I'd tell the agent that you have to deal with them directly don't send anything more than what they need (i.e. proof if ID and standard references). It could be the agent mis-interpreting what they're asking for, it oculd be something more. Either way, they're not needed in this part of the process and will only slow things down.

Comment

Originally posted by starburst89 View Post
              So I am going through referencing for my new role which starts very shortly. As a contractor we all know that we work away from home 5 days a week then return back to our permenent address on the friday usually to return back to work on the Monday. I have been asked by my agency to provide addresses of where I have been staying during various contracts....even though this is temporary do they need to know my place of residence mon to fri? They already have details of my permenent address history.
              Not sure how many of us actually do that, and the number is surprisingly low to be away for a while week I would imagine.

Why not just state your home address all the way through, given the mon-fri is only temporary accommodation ? Keeps life a lot simpler.

Comment

It's none of their business, even the temporary addresses. That kind of information should only be required for Security Checks which won't be done by an agency.

Which agency? I'm guessing a small one with only a few gigs

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                  When I've had to go through background checks with banks, this wasn't done with the agent. It's usually a department of the bank or a 3rd party. The agent may chase me up but i wouldn't send anything to them.

I'd tell the agent that you have to deal with them directly don't send anything more than what they need (i.e. proof if ID and standard references). It could be the agent mis-interpreting what they're asking for, it oculd be something more. Either way, they're not needed in this part of the process and will only slow things down.
                  ^This, both times i had a contract for a bank the background check was performed by a 3rd party on behalf of the bank. The agency had nothing to do with it.

Even then it seems excessive, unless you have some shady moments in your past that they are worried about.

Comment

It is actually the end client who is asking for all of this information...possibly the HR department of the end client. Apparently they wanted to know why I had no London address whilst contracting in London for 2 years but that is because I have been living away from home in London and then travelling back at weekends to the midlands. I don't think they know what some contractors actually do!

Comment

Working...
                    X