• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When its time to get something new - permies etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When its time to get something new - permies etc.

Not me for a change lol. Mate of mine whos just on his 2nd gig.

All going well and hes been there a year but client mgr called him to one side and asked his intentions re: next renewal. Mgr wants him to stay but, apparently, team leader says they should let him go. Hes had a few disagreements with this guy.

Personally, my advice was to look for something else and be very careful about taking an extension here. Even if the mgr wants him there its not going to be cool if someone doesnt want him there. I had a bad experience once - took an extension at a client I knew was like this just because it was close to home - caused my loads of stress....

Interested what others think. Carry on invoicing and suck it up? Or lifes too short to stress get something else?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

If the 'Mgr' wants your mate to stay then get your mate to explain the position between him and the team leader. The Mgr may be able to keep the team leader in line. Why are they not getting on ?

Otherwise tell your mate to find another contract and then move, unless he wants to take the risk of leaving and then finding something else, given the current market forces. May be an idea to put up and renew for another 6 months unless the situation really is that bad.

Oh and your mate is welcome to post on here himself you know...

Comment

If the team leader doesn't want him then it's not going to work. It's up to your mate to understand his tolerance or whether he should move.

For me it would depend on the rate, if what a high rate + being close to home, I would stick it out. Otherwise I'd be gone

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        If the 'Mgr' wants your mate to stay then get your mate to explain the position between him and the team leader. The Mgr may be able to keep the team leader in line. Why are they not getting on ?

Otherwise tell your mate to find another contract and then move, unless he wants to take the risk of leaving and then finding something else, given the current market forces. May be an idea to put up and renew for another 6 months unless the situation really is that bad.

Oh and your mate is welcome to post on here himself you know...
        True enough - but he asked me for my opinion. Should have known I cant even decide myself what to eat for lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          If the team leader doesn't want him then it's not going to work. It's up to your mate to understand his tolerance or whether he should move.

For me it would depend on the rate, if what a high rate + being close to home, I would stick it out. Otherwise I'd be gone
          Like I said, I found this out previously. I took a renewal when I knew the local manager and a few permies had an issue with me being there - even though someone higher up wanted me to stay. It was local etc.

After about 2 weeks, I knew it was a bad idea. I guess some people can think stuff it and carry on but I couldnt and it just stressed me out.

Comment

Depends on a load of factors we don't know. Any decision based on so few facts is approaching guesswork.

Besr advice for your mate is to get some new mates. HTH BIDI
            Last edited by northernladuk; 13 October 2016, 08:33.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              True enough - but he asked me for my opinion.
              Does he not know any contractors that he could ask instead?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Not me for a change lol. Mate of mine whos just on his 2nd gig.

All going well and hes been there a year but client mgr called him to one side and asked his intentions re: next renewal. Mgr wants him to stay but, apparently, team leader says they should let him go. Hes had a few disagreements with this guy.

Personally, my advice was to look for something else and be very careful about taking an extension here. Even if the mgr wants him there its not going to be cool if someone doesnt want him there. I had a bad experience once - took an extension at a client I knew was like this just because it was close to home - caused my loads of stress....

Interested what others think. Carry on invoicing and suck it up? Or lifes too short to stress get something else?
                How far away is the extension? How far into the current contract is he? How much other work is there that he can / will do elsewhere? What is the market like for his skillset? Are there other roles that offer comparable rates easily available? What is the dynamic between manager and team lead? How long can he easily afford to be out of work?

It's easy to say "walk away, life's too short" when you have pots of money and can waltz into another role in short time. It's significantly harder to say that when you can't afford to say no.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                  How far away is the extension? How far into the current contract is he? How much other work is there that he can / will do elsewhere? What is the market like for his skillset? Are there other roles that offer comparable rates easily available? What is the dynamic between manager and team lead? How long can he easily afford to be out of work?

It's easy to say "walk away, life's too short" when you have pots of money and can waltz into another role in short time. It's significantly harder to say that when you can't afford to say no.
                  This is true. Been there a year he has.

Know what you mean but for me unless I was really desperate I'd be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post

All of the above and more. Considering leaving gig's just because you don't get on with someone without considering all the other factors is just ridiculous.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X