• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memory prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory prices

Bloody risen by at least 25% since start of the year - I have just dropped £650 on memory modules for SKA servers, the price per GB should have DROPPED, not increased!!! Damned Vista

Fax your MP that memory prices should be pegged by the government to inflation, and that people must save a cash deposit before they can buy any.

Comment

Done.

Face of the MP (it may look otherwise, but she is a woman) is here: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/gis...ham,_edgbaston

Comment

It depends where you get hold of the RAM from - some places are working on circa-January '06 pricing. I tend to use crucial.com as they are usually the cheapest sh1t that works properly.

I notice that PC133 is REALLY expensive now (i have about 12 gigs of it in a box somewhere!). Woot
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I second the Crucial recommendation. That's where I get all mine from. Made the mistake of going elsewhere once. And it was only once. It failed MemTest at its upper limit causing the PC to lock up just before it went into swap.

The Crucial stuff seems to be rock solid.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Bought 8x1 GB PC 3200 DIMMs Crucial branded... from dabs.com, about 10 quid cheaper than I would have gotten them from Crucial itself - they sure do good memory, they are Micron daughter company or something.

Comment

I can't see why anyone would want any more than 640k. Ever heard of code optimisation?

Comment

I know you are trying to be funny, but what you should consider is that when you deals with objects number of which exceeds billions, or even trillions in some cases it means that if you don't keep them in memory you will have at least a fixed cost of a disk seek - that applies to cases when you can't access data sequentially of course - this means that performance becomes seriosly limited by disk: even if you talk about sequential access it is still good 2 orders of magnitude slower than accessing same data in RAM.

Comment

You should have seen my 36-ary in-memory tree structure for looking up words and phrases. Did about 500,000 lookups per second on a bog standard PC. In Java!

Comment

How many unique words, and how long (bytes) on average they were?
                    Last edited by AtW; 6 November 2006, 16:22.

Comment

Working...
                    X