• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear Scotland the Skint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear Scotland the Skint

Scotland's a bigger economic basket case than Greece  | Daily Mail Online

Scotland is a bigger economic basket case than Greece: Country would have to double basic rate of income tax to tackle its public spending deficit
    A report by the Taxpayers' Alliance says Scotland would need to plug its deficit through massive cuts or a tax hike to meet EU criteria
    It ran up a fiscal deficit of £14.8billion in 2015-16
    The group said Scotland is 'living well beyond its means'
    Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will open the SNP's conference in Glasgow today
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

UK forecast for 2015-16 is net borrowing of £69.5bn or 3.7%Jan 3, 2016
    I guess that could fall if you keep importing more migrants.

Scotland might be skint but the UK is bankrupt. £1.6 trillion. That can never be repaid in our lifetimes or our children's.

Dead cat bounce nothing. Fan and tulip are not even in the same room yet but still the smell is awful.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 13 October 2016, 10:04.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I guess that will keep increasing as we keep importing more migrants.
      FTFY - our economy really is a basket case that requires some fundamental changes.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'd cut the public sector (Scottish) in half. No need to increase taxes, they are high enough. Of all the small countries in the world Scotland's public sector size is grottiest.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'd cut the public sector (Scottish) in half. No need to increase taxes, they are high enough. Of all the small countries in the world Scotland's public sector size is grottiest.
          didn't go down well in Greece...

Comment

I'm sure the SNP will announce this before IndyRef2.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              I'm sure the SNP will announce this before IndyRef2.
              I think May will pull the plug before Nicola gets the chance. Remember, many of those public services are nothing to do with Scotland but for the UK as a whole.

Comment

I think May will pull the plug before Nicola gets the chance. Remember, many of those public services are nothing to do with Scotland but for the UK as a whole.
                Bet you a large sum of cash May won't.

Anyway, you've still not told us why you hate the UK so much?

Comment

Scotland might be skint but the UK is bankrupt.
                  That's not true. Bankrupt is when you cannot fund your debts. The UK can fund it's debts at the current level. They are not even the highest in history. It was much higher after the end of World War 1 and World War 2.

A sovereign country can always pay it's debts. It's not the same analogy as a person owing a lot of money.

If, for example, we reached a stage where we couldn't pay the debt interest the government could simply increase taxation, cut spending or just print some more money or a combination of all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    FTFY - our economy really is a basket case that requires some fundamental changes.
                    Get rid of Scotland would be one
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X