• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC repyament of Corp Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC repyament of Corp Tax

Recently paid my corp tax for my last company year which ended 31st May 2016.

today HMRC have sent me a check back for nearly the entire amount of tax paid, stating that I've overpaid

I think the may have gotten confused because my first year accounts covered a 13 month period, so I made two corp tax payments (one for the 1st month of trading and the second for the remaining 12 months)

my questions is, before I get too excited I'm guessing HMRC at some point will realise their mistake and request full payment?

I've asked my accountant but he's on holiday until next week, so wondering what the usual protocol would be in such situations

Did you submit two corporation tax returns?

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

today HMRC have sent me a check back for nearly the entire amount of tax paid, stating that I've overpaid

I think the may have gotten confused because my first year accounts covered a 13 month period, so I made two corp tax payments (one for the 1st month of trading and the second for the remaining 12 months)

my questions is, before I get too excited I'm guessing HMRC at some point will realise their mistake and request full payment?

I've asked my accountant but he's on holiday until next week, so wondering what the usual protocol would be in such situations
      I had a letter a couple of months back saying that I was late for CT when I know full well I'd paid months in advance.
      It turns out that I'd paid but had selected the wrong year on the drop down so it was paid against the next tax year.
      They corrected it on the phone.

It may be that you've done similar so they see it as overpaid if you've put it down against the previous smaller return.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Did you submit two corporation tax returns?

not sure Accountant did the filing, he just ran me through the accounts and advised that there were two corp tax payments to be made which I did via BACS

think I need to wait for the accountant to get back, I know the tax paid is correct so at some point now or in the future will come knocking for the money, i'll control myself and not spend it before they do

Comment

If the accountant told you there were two payments to be made, did he/she/it give you two different reference numbers?

Comment

I had this very recently. My company number was the reference number. So reference number the same for both.

My accountant(Ben Surtees-Smith at QDOS) sorted quickly and easily. The accountants team called up HMRC and they split the payments.

Ask your accountant to do that. If your accountant doesn't do it, or charges, then switch to QDOS.

A high recommendation to QDOS once again. Everything about their service is perfect.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

Your accountant isn't called Darren is he?

I would have a look to see what was submitted to HMRC and if it is as expected.

Comment

Lol – he’s not no

Just spoke to my accountant looks like HMRC have booked the corp tax payment against the shorter accounting period (3 days) and not against the full year accounting period

Advice was to cash the cheque and repay using the appropriate ref number

Better cancel the Ferrari (

Comment

Working...
                X