• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what Pontefract is like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what Pontefract is like?

Morning,

Just wondered if anyone knew what Pontefract was like and nice areas round it to live? My wife has an interview next week, so potentially moving up there next year, and would like some recommendations of areas to avoid more than anything, as I don't trust estate agents.

We are looking at Pontefract itself, but would consider anything up to 30 minutes drive, ideally Castleford and East, so I have reasonable access to mainline trains down to London for work (via Doncaster or York I think). We are not too bothered about a massive amount of local amenities, happy to drive to those, we are in Suffolk at the moment, so running water, electricity and a decent internet connection would be an improvement.

It's in Yorkshire, so it's naturally a paradise.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I did think that, but I just wondered if certain parts of paradise were better than others, or other parts best avoided (I was born near Hull, so hopefully you will undersand what I mean, as anyone who has been to this particular part of paradise would)

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
        Morning,

Just wondered if anyone knew what Pontefract was like and nice areas round it to live? My wife has an interview next week, so potentially moving up there next year, and would like some recommendations of areas to avoid more than anything, as I don't trust estate agents.

We are looking at Pontefract itself, but would consider anything up to 30 minutes drive, ideally Castleford and East, so I have reasonable access to mainline trains down to London for work (via Doncaster or York I think). We are not too bothered about a massive amount of local amenities, happy to drive to those, we are in Suffolk at the moment, so running water, electricity and a decent internet connection would be an improvement.
        Depends on budget, and if you want rural or city?

Stay clear of Castleford, just stay clear! There are some nice parts of Wakefield, Leeds is doable to Ponte, but there are also some nice villages around (Methley, Allerton Bywater, Fairburn, Burton Salmon)
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I did think that, but I just wondered if certain parts of paradise were better than others, or other parts best avoided (I was born near Hull, so hopefully you will undersand what I mean, as anyone who has been to this particular part of paradise would)
          Didn't see this, if you are from Hull, Cas Vegas will be fine
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Pontecarlo along with Cas-Vegas, hmmm.

I'd say that they are white working class areas of Yorkshire. Very friendly but don't expect live broadcasts of ENO at the local wetherspoons, more probably SuperLeague. Donny's much the same, York is a lot nicer reflected in the house prices but people aren't as friendly.

I get the impression that Donny's a lot drier than up in the dales.

PS. You know what they say about Cas? it's the only place outside of Las Vegas where you can buy a woman with chips!

Comment

The cake is nice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Regarding budget, up to £250K for a small detached place, happy to do some work if needed, don't have kids so not worried about local schools etc. This seems to buy an awful lot in Pontefract, which is slightly worrying in itself, the places we have seen on Rightmove have all been less than £200k for much bigger than we have now.

Area wise, not really city centre based, outskirts is fine, village is doable if there is a bit of life, village pub etc.

We are up there for a couple of days next week for her interview, so can have a drive round some of the places mentioned and try and get a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The cake is nice.
                  You're thinking of Eccles.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Morning,

Last time I went past it, it was in the shadow of the cooling towers of a nearby power station.

Looked bloody horrible.

I'm guessing the chimneys are no longer there though judging by what's happened elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X