• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Europe's highest court has ruled that time taken to travel to work should count as wo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe's highest court has ruled that time taken to travel to work should count as wo

About time. Looks like I'll have to start charging for the 60 second commute from the bedroom to the office.

I'm sure the Wrexiters will not mind loosing out from this new EU law.

https://www.indy100.com/article/euro...s-work-7360726

This could be the one EU law that Leave voters want to keep post-Brexit.

In a case that most people probably don't know about, Europe's highest court - the European Court of Justice (ECJ) - legally ruled that workers who fall ill on holiday may claim back annual leave from their employers. They also ruled that time taken to travel to and from work at the beginning and end of each day should count as working time under the law.

The ECJ ruled that workers without a fixed office should be able to charge for the time such journeys last, whereas at present they are not allowed to do so. It could mean that companies employing such workers as electricians, gas fitters, care workers and sales reps could be in breach of EU working time regulations, if they chose to abandon a regional office, for example.

The ECJ said it was protecting the "health and safety" of workers according to the European Union's Working Time Directive. The ruling revolves around a legal case in Spain involving Tyco, the security systems company.

The ruling said: "The fact that the workers begin and finish the journeys at their homes stems directly from the decision of their employer to abolish the regional offices and not from the desire of the workers themselves."

As for sick pay? The background is the case of Francisco Pereda, a council worker from Madrid.

Pereda was injured just before his month-long holiday was due to start.

He took legal action against his employer, Madrid Movilidad, because they refused to reschedule or postpone his annual leave.

The EU court ruled in his favour, saying he should have been allowed to delay his holiday arrangements and postpone his leave for the following year.

Unison, the biggest public sector union, supported the 2009 judgment.

"If employees are ill, then they are obviously not enjoying a holiday," a spokesman told the Guardian at the time.

"They should be able to take their agreed time off when their health improves."

However, leading experts on employment law said there was a chance that workers might claim extra holiday time, even if they became ill after their agreed leave had begun.

Katja Hall, director of HR Policy at the CBI, pointed out to the Telegraph that “many firms already take a common sense and sympathetic approach."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    About time. Looks like I'll have to start charging for the 60 second commute from the bedroom to the office.

I'm sure the Wrexiters will not mind loosing out from this new EU law.

https://www.indy100.com/article/euro...s-work-7360726
    I agree with the ruling. Moreover, on my commute to London contracts, I work on the train in and home bound,; it’s part of my working day. Any travel Europe has been paid on a time basis and starts when leaving home, (sometimes 3am).
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      loosing out
      Like, totally, dude.

Comment

good news on the travel time. Many carers get shafted by their employees.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Time after the first X minutes might be better where X is 30-60 perhaps?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Time after the first X minutes might be better where X is 30-60 perhaps?
            we are talking about people earning £7 an hour doing 1-2 hours driving to work for free

Comment

On Brexit might be more like Ken Loach's 'The Navigators', zero hour contracts, own equipment, own travel, no holiday pay, no sick pay, corners cut, people dead.

Also 'I, Daniel Blake' is a work of genius and is a pointer as to the way UK will most likely go post-Brexit, ie USA 2.0 beta 1....

It's happening now in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                On Brexit might be more like Ken Loach's 'The Navigators', zero hour contracts, own equipment, own travel, no holiday pay, no sick pay, corners cut, people dead.

Also 'I, Daniel Blake' is a work of genius and is a pointer as to the way UK will most likely go post-Brexit, ie USA 2.0 beta 1....

It's happening now in fact.
                why do people assume only the EU can moderate big business and control employment law.

We invented most of the laws.

Yes there is a move towards looser employment law but our government can control it.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  why do people assume only the EU can moderate big business and control employment law.
                  There is a general ignorance around the EU full stop regardless of which way people voted so why are you surprised?

People who are in IT also are unable to do a Google to find our when laws such as race discrimination, health and safety at work and consumer rights came on the statue books in the UK and when the EU directives making all states to have such laws were passed.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    we are talking about people earning £7 an hour doing 1-2 hours driving to work for free
                    Lucky them to own their own car
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X