• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaking of Japan...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Japan...

We've just booked flights for a week in Tokyo in late February, visiting friends working there.

5 full days, our friends will be working during the day leaving us to explore. Any suggested itineraries... We know literally nothing about Japan or Tokyo or the geography or anything, a complete blank slate
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We've just booked flights for a week in Tokyo in late February, visiting friends working there.

5 full days, our friends will be working during the day leaving us to explore. Any suggested itineraries... We know literally nothing about Japan or Tokyo or the geography or anything, a complete blank slate
    Not sure if you have time but l travelled around Japan with a rail pass from JNTO. They are only for tourists, could use the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) and it was free for the Yamanote line which loops around Tokyo. Saved a fortune on underground costs. Kyoto worth a visit. Plenty of shrines around Tokyo.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 20 October 2016, 10:55. Reason: spelling
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

If you are feeling energetic then a day trip to hike Mt Fuji is worth the effort if the weather cooperates. About an hour from Tokyo by train and there are well maintained routes and busses to take you too the 5th climbing station if you don't want to hike all the way to the top.

If you are into technology, Anime, gadgets and Otaku culture in general then Akihabara is worth a visit, especially at night for the sheer impact of the neon and displays.

Otherwise just wandering around will keep you occupied for hours. On the surface Tokyo is just like any other big city, but it's also a deeply weird place for westerners and there is always something to see.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Another place yoiu can visit is Nikko.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Nikko

Lots of pleasant hikes in the mountains and views of Mt Fuji.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Japan is a country in Asia and Tokyo is its capital city. I think you'll have a nice time.

Comment

1. Get a JR East pass (use the JNTO website to get to it, there are other sites which will try to sell you the same thing but charge you more). You need to buy that before you travel.
            2. What part of Tokyo are you staying in?
            3. Download google translate for your smartphone.
            4. Shaba-shabu, Okonomyaki, Sukiyaki
            5. Yamazaki 12.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I am a whisky fan as it happens. I wonder if I can convince anyone else that's interesting
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X