• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yet another dull car thread - buy an ex-motability?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another dull car thread - buy an ex-motability?

I remember my late mother recommended to me several times that buying an ex-motability car could be a great idea since they are generally used for 3 years and serviced frequently. And the typical disabled or old driver is not someone who will treat it badly, or tend to drive it a very long distance.

Has anyone here looked into this? Is it a sensible idea or are them some downsides I've not thought of?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

assuming they aren't converted (ramps etc) it seems to make sense.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My exes brother is shacked up with a lass who has one. She's mid 20's, I don't recall what her problem is but the exes brother is a bit of a wide boy and won't have treated the thing with any sort of respect. They're not all run by biddies to the shops once a week. YMMV.

Comment

A fair while ago I had a Vectra Automatic which was ex motability. It was only a month or two old, as the guy who had it died, so although I was the second owner the first owner had not used it much.

Was a good deal, and lasted till it was 3 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I remember my late mother recommended to me several times that buying an ex-motability car could be a great idea since they are generally used for 3 years and serviced frequently. And the typical disabled or old driver is not someone who will treat it badly, or tend to drive it a very long distance.

Has anyone here looked into this? Is it a sensible idea or are them some downsides I've not thought of?
          My friend is on motability, he drives around 3,000 miles a year but had about one acident ever 1,000 miles.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I had a friend whose mother had motability cars. He drove it most of the time and treated it almost like a rental - it was going to get serviced and changed, so he didn't care.
            I'd probably treat it like every other fleet/company car, unless the mileage is very low.
            My preference in cars is to go for ex-management (6-12 months on the clock).
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I bought a Focus that was ex-motability. It had some bumps and scuffs on the sills under the door due to whatever the user need to get around outside the car. Nice low mileage seemed like a bargain. The thing was f**ked. Doing so few miles in a long time it was just a short trip here and short trip there and then stood. It probably went everywhere at top revs in 1st or 2nd gear as well. Sounds a bit daft but too low mileage is not always a bonus and I wouldn't go round assuming they haven't been treated badly.

I certainly wouldn't bother again.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I bought a Focus that was ex-motability. It had some bumps and scuffs on the sills under the door due to whatever the user need to get around outside the car. Nice low mileage seemed like a bargain. The thing was f**ked. Doing so few miles in a long time it was just a short trip here and short trip there and then stood. It probably went everywhere at top revs in 1st or 2nd gear as well. Sounds a bit daft but too low mileage is not always a bonus and I wouldn't go round assuming they haven't been treated badly.

I certainly wouldn't bother again.
                Yup - nothing screams stay away to me than a car that is well below average mileage and/or has only done short distances. Town driving is the WORST on a car - town driving by somebody who may well struggle to drive properly (Bit of a wide brush there, but whatever - you all know where I'm coming from) is even worse.

Not saying don't buy a motabilitiy but the only real plus point is "regular servicing" which, to be frank, is overrated over that kind of time period anyway (except for oil changes).

Comment

Cheers, food for thought.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This is what you need.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X