• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Google losing their Midas touch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Google losing their Midas touch?

I and presumably most people tend to think of Google projects as being among the most groundbreaking and smartest, and there's no doubt that has been and remains true for many of these.

After all, they didn't become the size they are without doing quite a few things right, often before these innovations even occurred to anyone else.

But this recent article shows that not everything they touch is joined up, and I wonder if they are starting the inevitable process of weighing themselves down in their own technical and managerial complexity:

2016-10-18 Pixel perfectly presents Google’s messaging app disaster
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

No organisation has a 100% hit rate, it's just Google's failures are a lot more public
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You can learn a lot more from failure than success. I wouldn't count Google out just yet.

Comment

Did they ever have a Midas touch? Loads of their projects have been less than stellar. Anyone remember Google Wave - all that fanfare and.....meh. Or Google Video, before they just gave up and brought YouTube? And look how well Google+ is doing

I'd suggest that Google strength is in the fact it's ready to take a chance. Do they not encourage their staff to spend x% of their time on 'crazy' projects?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

No organisation has a 100% hit rate, it's just Google's failures are a lot more public
          True. Also, it occurred to me they could be doing a Microsoft by deliberately providing a pathetic inadequate solution in the hope and expectation that some third party will develop a better alternative and thus help Google avoid accusations of being a monopoly.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Google's money comes from ads. Everything else is just sugar on top. They've so much ad revenue they can throw cash at projects and see which work and which don't, without it really mattering.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've been using a Nexus for the last couple of years and it does more than what I need a phone for & it weighed in at a much lower price than the Samsung Galaxy.

Apparently they won't be doing the Nexus any more & are launching the Pixel & I had a brief look the other day & it looked like that was going to sell for upwards of £500.

I guess they've done their marketing but I'll be looking at something else next time I need a phone & I'm guessing there will be a fair few ex google phone users soon.

Comment

If you stick with Android they won't really care
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Based on their past failed project I'm inclined to say they are just not very good at human-to-human interaction.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Did they ever have a Midas touch? Loads of their projects have been less than stellar. Anyone remember Google Wave - all that fanfare and.....meh. Or Google Video, before they just gave up and brought YouTube? And look how well Google+ is doing

I'd suggest that Google strength is in the fact it's ready to take a chance. Do they not encourage their staff to spend x% of their time on 'crazy' projects?
                    Google Glass. Years of hype but cancelled before it was launched.

Google Self-Driving Cars. Years of hype, still not on the market. In the meantime you can buy and own a self-driving Tesla.

Google haven't done anything interesting for years.

Comment

Working...
                    X