• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Price of Coal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Price of Coal

BBC News - Aberfan: The mistake that cost a village its children

Jeez. I thought this was actually a thread about the price of coal and my kids Christmas presents were going to cost me more.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Was watching a program with Huw Edwards the other day. A sorry tale alright.

Do need to go see the coal man actually to get stocked up. It's probably all Colombian now or some other tulip.

Comment

It's strange in a way how people lament the end of coal mining in South Wales. The people of Aberfan might have been better off living next to Chernobyl. That only resulted in 49 immediate deaths.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          It's strange in a way how people lament the end of coal mining in South Wales. The people of Aberfan might have been better off living next to Chernobyl. That only resulted in 49 immediate deaths.
          Coal mining needs to restart. Cheap energy to get UK business booming.

With modern health and safety, it will still be cheap. Though not as cheap as know health and safety atall which was what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

With modern health and safety, it will still be cheap. Though not as cheap as know health and safety atall which was what happened.
            Yeah because going down a pit was great.

I've heard stories of how some fathers got their wayward sons who they knew where intelligent to study at school and get better paying jobs by taking them down a pit for an hour or two. Obviously it was illegal...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

It's still cheaper to import coal from Australia than it is to mine it here. Over here a good seam is 3ft thick, in Aus they regard it as marginal if it is less than 3m.

Cheap coal needs big machinery to shift the volumes needed to make money on it. The deep mines in the UK just don't have the seam sizes to make it work anymore.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                It's still cheaper to import coal from Australia than it is to mine it here. Over here a good seam is 3ft thick, in Aus they regard it as marginal if it is less than 3m.

Cheap coal needs big machinery to shift the volumes needed to make money on it. The deep mines in the UK just don't have the seam sizes to make it work anymore.
                or go to Germany and pick it up off the floor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garzweiler_surface_mine
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X