• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hairdo? Hear me out...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hairdo? Hear me out...

Hi folks. I've been a permie with the same employer for the last 11 years, however the joys of redundancy are now ahead of me. As I'll have a reasonable amount of capital behind me once my notice has been served, I'm planning on trying my hand at contracting.

However! It's been a fair old while since I've been for any kind of interview, so no doubt things have changed over the last decade. Amongst other things I've got to consider, is my appearance: I've had a clean-shaven head for the last 10 years or so - mainly because I can't be bothered with maintaining any kind of "do". I've now let it grow for a month or so and to my surprise I've still got a reasonable head of hair, although it's greying slightly...

Do you feel there's any kind of stigma attached to having a clean-shaven head? i.e. should I continue to grow my locks into some kind of hairstyle to aid my finding a role, or do you think prospective employers wouldn't judge on hairdo?

It may seem a trivial question, however having hair is driving me mad, sticking up in all kinds of angles (I think my hair has "forgotten" how to grow properly) and I'm itching to get rid!

Any advice/thoughts would be welcomed!

Cheers,

Tez

Seriously??

Comment

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

You've waited 5 years for VR to come back round again? You must have the patience of a saint.

I think I can say with some authority that the very best contractors have no hair at all, so don't worry about that. Look at Cojak - she didn't pick that name for no reason

Comment

Get it into your slightly fuzzy head. People hire contractors - and agencies select candidates - based on what they have actually and provably done in the last five years and how closely it fits their requirement. Nothing else.

Focus on your CV and demonstrating you have something of value to offer a crowded and highly competitive market.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            Seriously??
            Obviously a very serious question?!

WGAS? I'm sure the OP can decide for themself.

As having a bald head and beard seems to have been all the rage for the last few years, perhaps the OP should try that!?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Get it into your slightly fuzzy head. People hire contractors - and agencies select candidates - based on what they have actually and provably done in the last five years and how closely it fits their requirement. Nothing else.

Focus on your CV and demonstrating you have something of value to offer a crowded and highly competitive market.
            Far too sensible but totally spot on!

Comment

I've known people judge potential candidates (contractors and FTE) on appearance, irrespective of experience, however my view is very narrow having been with one company for so long, hence the question.

Bald head i can manage, but my beard growing skills, are comparable to those of a prepubescent girl...

Comment

You managed to sit on that sockie for five years, and this was the best you could do...

Comment

Originally posted by Tez View Post
                  I've known people judge potential candidates (contractors and FTE) on appearance, irrespective of experience, however my view is very narrow having been with one company for so long, hence the question.

Bald head i can manage, but my beard growing skills, are comparable to those of a prepubescent girl...
                  Maybe post a pic and let the panel decide?

Serious business haircuts
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tez View Post
                    I've had a clean-shaven head for the last 10 years or so -
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X