• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU referendum - divided house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU referendum - divided house

Anyone else out there who's partner voted differently to you in the referendum?

Four months on and the venomous comments and generic put downs are still flowing - not directed at me specifically - but at Brexiters generally. But it feels like every put down is subtly directed at me - the stupid, the naive, the xenophobic.

I have pretty much kept my mouth shut at home on the subject. But I haven't changed my views and I'm happy with the progress.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Four months on and the venomous comments and generic put downs are still flowing - not directed at me specifically - but at Brexiters generally. But it feels like every put down is subtly directed at me - the stupid, the naive, the xenophobic.

I have pretty much kept my mouth shut at home on the subject. But I haven't changed my views and I'm happy with the progress.
    Nope, because MrsMac did exactly what I told her to do when it came to voting
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You should go here http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...xit-stuff.html - plenty of venom to be found among your fellow "stupid, naive and xenophobic" brethren.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not currently getting any, then
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Marrying someone much more intelligent than you was never going to work.

Was that too subtle?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Someone with less intelligence would be a bloody small pool to choose from though.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              So Mrs VM voted Out then?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Regrettably Mrs OG wasn't entitled to a vote but we share a view on this.

I only know one person well who will admit to Brexit. It was an interesting conversation over a few beers with everyone else in the group a Bremainer. He expressed this reasons for voting Brexit very cogently:

- If there was a remain vote there would be 2,000,000 Turkish immigrants into the UK in 2017 when Turkey joins the EU, which was so obviously going to happen that you'd be a fool to think otherwise
                - Men can now marry their boyfriends
                - There are so many immigrants [unspoken: like his EU citizen partner sat next to him] that his [unspoken: half Spanish] kids won't be able to afford to buy a house in their home town when they grow up

Sadly, his relationship with his partner is now breaking down and the prospect doesn't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  - There are so many immigrants [unspoken: like his EU citizen partner sat next to him] that his [unspoken: half Spanish] kids won't be able to afford to buy a house in their home town when they grow up

Sadly, his relationship with his partner is now breaking down and the prospect doesn't look good.
                  I'm aware of another like this for the same reason on the other side of the family. A marriage of many decades now breaking down because the significant other is a migrant.

So sad to see.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I'm aware of another like this for the same reason on the other side of the family. A marriage of many decades now breaking down because the significant other is a migrant.

So sad to see.
                    It is sad. It was very uncomfortable hearing him mouth off against immigrants sat next to his partner, who was seriously upset by the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X