• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - Onboarding screening for Bank as contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Onboarding screening for Bank as contractor

Hi all

I used to work for a global bank in the city for 10 years, then got dismissed for covering my Execs affair with another member of staff - he got promoted, i got let go. Very unfair i know.

I have secured a job at another bank (contracting though) and wanted to know how rigid the onboarding screening system is - do they check all your education etc ? and if i tell the truth about my last role will this affect my role? or are banks not as tight with contractors?
    any advise or help would be amazing.
    Thanks !

We don't really know without knowing exactly which bank and what type of role but it's pretty safe to say it's going to be pretty rigid. They are going to want evidence of a couple of years gig's, evidence of what you were doing inbetween gig's/perm employment. It's highly likely they will credit check you and yes I'd expect they would have a look at your education. As to the reasons for you were dismissed then I'd say they won't go in to that. They will just want to check start and end dates to see if you are telling the truth about being there and look for gaps.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by superea View Post
      Hi all

I used to work for a global bank in the city for 10 years, then got dismissed for covering my Execs affair with another member of staff - he got promoted, i got let go. Very unfair i know.

I have secured a job at another bank (contracting though) and wanted to know how rigid the onboarding screening system is - do they check all your education etc ? and if i tell the truth about my last role will this affect my role? or are banks not as tight with contractors?
      any advise or help would be amazing.
      Thanks !
      If you are worried about previous role why mention education, unless you have been loose with the truth!

Never gone through them for a bank, but most references will not say anything that could be libelous in a reference so most employment checks will be did you work there, how long for and what was your job title.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        If you are worried about previous role why mention education, unless you have been loose with the truth!
        Lol. Exactly what I thought.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Never gone through them but from what I have read on here they sound more rigorous than SC.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Because they learnt lots about not covering up for an affair?

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
              Because they learnt lots about not covering up for an affair?
              "got dismissed for covering my Execs affair with another member of staff" sounds a little strange anyway. 10 years of work you'd have to be binned for gross misconduct to get rid of you immediately. And that needs evidence.

There's a lot more to this than stated.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

They don't go back more than 5 years so stop stressing.

Comment

The bank has the right to give the reason "Dismissed after disciplinary procedures" however its most likely they will give no reason.

Banks will always give your name, date of birth (To confirm its you), job title and dates of employment.

If you were in a regulated role however, this is when it may become a bit more difficult as regulated roles require a bit more disclosure as to the reasons of why you were dismissed. I am with the other poster when it says after 10 years "Covering the execs affair" doesn't sound quite right.

Comment

Your username says your an EA so I would think they would be very extensive checks wise. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about...but as you posted here you obviously have something to hide! At a minimum you can expect:

Police Checks
                    Background Previous Employer checks & referencing for the past 3-5 years
                    Credit Record Checks

Then on top of that lot they will probably want to see bank, credit card, mortgage statements going back a few years as well as voters roll data. If you have any CV gaps they will also need to cover those. Your previous employer cannot give a bad reference (most do not give any reference apart from dates worked) so its unlikely what you say happened to you would affect this process at all.

Some vetting agencies attempt to charge you £500 if you fail the vetting process due to your own fault so check the small print as well!

Comment

Working...
                    X