• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do - Landlord asking if we want to buy the house we are renting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do - Landlord asking if we want to buy the house we are renting

Phone call from the letting agent on behalf of the landlord asking if we are still interested in buying the house, yes we are but it couldn't have come at a worse time as I need to do up and sell the other house to to get the deposit, MrsMac is now going through all the options but can only come back to they want to sell and we will have to look elsewhere.

We have a tenancy until February, but we all know that means jack and two months notice can come any time, selling the other house should give the deposit needed on this place (its quite an upgrade) but the other property has only just been vacated and needs work to get it sell able (there is also the question if we can even sell it as it has rent a roof solar panels and the complications that come with trying to find a mortgage that accepts them)

A while ago the landlord emailed us directly about something, think they were getting some work done and was pissed at the agents so emailed us to keep us updated, of course I kept the email address. MrsMac is wanting clarity on the subject and wants to ask out right if they are wanting to sell, what are the time lines they are thinking, I am unsure as to be fair there is nothing we can do for at least 6 months and a lot of other questions that need to be asked first.

(To add another layer of complexity the local school is fantastic when it comes to the eldest step son and his autism, so would do anything we can to keep him in the school)
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I would mail him directly to get his time lines.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Get a P2P loan for the deposit and pay it back when and where you are ready?

On the legal points.. This help?
      http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/201...heir-property/

I'd say you are in the driving seat for the time being.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Email directly telling them you've had a call from the letting agent.
        Tell them the truth - yes you'd like it, but you need to sell the other one first.

It's likely that IF they want to sell, they are trying to reduce their costs by offering it to you before paying for all the marketing etc.
        If they know you are seriously interested then they (hopefully) won't put it on the market. They might ask for a deposit, or even to draw up a contract.

To me, it's all positive, if you are serious about buying it. The only possible downside is if they want to sell but have no intention of waiting more than a week or two - which is unlikely, in my opinion.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And don't ask in General next time you wank puffin.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And don't ask in General next time you wank puffin.
            Meh, what is the worse that can happen?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Email directly telling them you've had a call from the letting agent.
              Tell them the truth - yes you'd like it, but you need to sell the other one first.

It's likely that IF they want to sell, they are trying to reduce their costs by offering it to you before paying for all the marketing etc.
              If they know you are seriously interested then they (hopefully) won't put it on the market. They might ask for a deposit, or even to draw up a contract.

To me, it's all positive, if you are serious about buying it. The only possible downside is if they want to sell but have no intention of waiting more than a week or two - which is unlikely, in my opinion.
              The agent was under the impression that the tenancy was coming to/was at an end, I reminded them that we had it until February (although double checking the paperwork to ensure this), if we get to February we might be able to do it, but it would mean a no frills Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                If we get to February we might be able to do it, but it would mean a no frills Christmas!
                No frills Christmas, or the house you want?

Think of the house as the family Christmas present, and if the kids don't like it, send them out to get jobs.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

As WTFH states all you can do is ask what he is after, how much he wants and how long he is willing to wait. Then check the current price via zoopla and recently sold prices.

You could also check if he was willing to accept a part exchange for rather quicker progress (no harm in asking)
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Meh, what is the worse that can happen?
                    Internet rules and laws: the top 10, from Godwin to Poe - Telegraph
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X