• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Courting roles when contract signed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courting roles when contract signed

Anyone had a contract signed for a role months ahead, how do you handle potential roles in the interim, do you court clients and recruiters on the off chance something better comes along and/or just to cover yourself if the role "vanishes"?

Cover yourself - depends how cast-iron you think the signed contract is I suppose.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Think about this scenario which does happen from time to time..

A week before you start the client's funding dries up and the contract is cancelled (and no you don't get paid the notice period). You are crying in to your boots with no gig to go to..

Using hindsight what do you think you should have at this moment in time?

The only problem is you might land your dream gig and then you've got a difficult decision to make. Plenty of threads on here about people finding gigs while waiting for a signed one to search so if this does happen try searching using the method linked below for advice on how to handle it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not sure sure I could ever trust a contract so far in advance, I don't trust contracts until I've had my first invoice paid

Comment

Cheers chaps; all good advice, aligns with what my instinct was telling me - problem is, turning it down (if it came to it) is tinged with guilt, I need thicker skin.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
            Not sure sure I could ever trust a contract so far in advance, I don't trust contracts until I've had my first invoice paid
            I'm a bit naïve then; I usually trust them once they've signed the timesheet
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
              Agreed. My approach would be to say I'm definitely interested if I am free when the contract is due to start, and then keep in touch with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                Cheers chaps; all good advice, aligns with what my instinct was telling me - problem is, turning it down (if it came to it) is tinged with guilt, I need thicker skin.
                Not seen it posted on here for a while but....

AYCOTBAC?

You can't be weak when dealing with agents. They'd sell their own grannies.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Not seen it posted on here for a while but....

AYCOTBAC?

You can't be weak when dealing with agents. They'd sell their own grannies.
                  I've lived a sheltered life!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    I've lived a sheltered life!
                    But do you know how to bleed a radiator?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X