• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Becoming a manager for a few extra quid a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming a manager for a few extra quid a day

Just been offered a manager position. The weird thing is that the only financial improvement is a mere few grand extra at the end of the year. The equivalent of a few quid a day. Do people really accept a manager position just for the power and to exhibit their anti-social and destructive skills? I mean, extra responsibility, extra work, extra nuisances, extra everything for a few extra quid a day? I have obviously declined the offer. What is your experience? Did it change your financial position, either contracting or permanent, to go for a managerial role? I can understand that for many (but without speaking names: only nicknames, SasGuru) is a way to cover their inadequacies and pretend they are useful for the company, but if you are technically excellent and have a portfolio of business and other skills, you are a precious resource, even without having to deal with the dirty office politics. Do you reckon is worth to jump on the other side? Did it add any value to you?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I think you have answered your own questions. Next.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      Just been offered a manager position. The weird thing is that the only financial improvement is a mere few grand extra at the end of the year. The equivalent of a few quid a day. Do people really accept a manager position just for the power and to exhibit their anti-social and destructive skills?
      A real permie will accept the "manager" title with pride, even if it comes with no extra money and no real power.

Comment

I often find that offices have permies that are all senior this or manager that. This is invariably linked to poor pay and the badge is used as a way of rewarding the hapless chumps.

As I am now a permie, I can say with pride that I am a bog standard developer only.

Your analysis of the reason that one would take a managerial role for no exta money is accurate. I wouldn't bother, but then not everyone thinks like me, thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
          I often find that offices have permies that are all senior this or manager that. This is invariably linked to poor pay and the badge is used as a way of rewarding the hapless chumps.

As I am now a permie, I can say with pride that I am a bog standard developer only.

Your analysis of the reason that one would take a managerial role for no exta money is accurate. I wouldn't bother, but then not everyone thinks like me, thankfully.
          Moderator please remove this post pride and permie can never be used in the same sentence unless in a context such as :

I have no pride I am a permie

Comment

I never implied that I was proud to be permie. C'mon.

Comment

ambition

Depends on the individual. If you have ambition, etc. then a managerial position is the first step to better things. Most contractors prefer to be a techie and avoid climbing the corporate ladder.

Having said that if you are a genuine manager you should be setting direction and have more control over your work. Delegate the crap to the minions below
              Separates the good managers from the "title holder" managers.

Comment

Trouble with technical skills is that most of them have a sell-by date, you can build up 10 years of knowledge that is suddenly worth 50% of what it was. This is obviously a curse for contractors. I was in this position and jumped into permie management roles. I had extra responsibility to deliver certain things but by delegating everything I could, it meant I didn't have to do the boring stuff, which was nice.
                Also, although the junior/pretend manager roles are crap, couple of rungs up and you are looking at decent cash/conditions/work (note - this is if you are lucky/in the right place etc)
                I have mates who were earning half my contract rate 10 years ago but they have caught up and until recently I was earning 50% of their packages ! By some luck and some design I am back contracting and earning decent coin but I wouldn't rule out the right permie job at the right company. Ok, maybe I am getting old !
                25-late 30's - contract your ass off, don't think it will last forever, get a plan B sorted if you can.
                40+ - hope plan B comes through or consider permie role at right level/conditions.
                If you are a high powered SAP consultant, looks like you can ride that wave into the shore. If you are any sort of middle ranking jobbing code monkey/support gimp - trust me it's a short term gig and you will hit the skids eventually.
                Good luck all !

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
                  Unfortunately, this has found its way into my area of contracting.

I'm regularly asked to do jobs called Build Managment, Integration Management or Test Management, which are sold as 'senior' positions on the project. Often they specify 5 years plus of develoment experience to get the job.

The fact is that they are entry level engineering jobs with a jumped-up name and any one who is any good leaves after a few months.

tim

Comment

Promotion to Manager is...

...a very good way of moving bad techies to a place where they can do less damage. In my experience, anyway.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X