• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are uber drivers self employed or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are uber drivers self employed or not?

Uber employment tribunal: Ruling due in London - BBC News

Weshall know soon enough.

Personally I think contractors fighting for employment rights should go and become permies.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Personally I think contractors fighting for employment rights should go and become permies.
    Uber drivers aren't contractors.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think given the way the Uber system works they should be seen as contractors - e.g. self employeed

If those two drivers do win their court case they may find that they no longer have a job!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I think given the way the Uber system works they should be seen as contractors - e.g. self employeed

If those two drivers do win their court case they may find that they no longer have a job!
        If they're self employed, they don't have a job.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Classic example of the Law not being able to keep up with technical progress.

But what is the answer? It's not easy.

One one-hand Uber drivers have a lot of flexibility. They can pick and choose the hours they work. On the other hand, if the "model" is adopted across whole industries it will push millions of people into a very unsecured income.

.... I say wait a couple more years until self-driving cars are the norm and the whole problem will just go away.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Classic example of the Law not being able to keep up with technical progress.

But what is the answer? It's not easy.

One one-hand Uber drivers have a lot of flexibility. They can pick and choose the hours they work. On the other hand, if the "model" is adopted across whole industries it will push millions of people into a very unsecured income.

.... I say wait a couple more years until self-driving cars are the norm and the whole problem will just go away.
            More importantly it will avoid a lot of Tax & employer responsibilities.

They need to work out how to police this new era of business. They either go small government & light reguation / Tax or they need to outwit the new businesses. We all know what they are trying to do.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Presumably this ruling will apply to all cabbies, couriers and so on regardless of who is providing them the work.

Comment

Presumably this ruling will apply to all cabbies, couriers and so on regardless of who is providing them the work.
                that is going to hack off the black cab owners!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  that is going to hack off the black cab owners!

Comment

Nope its going to depend on how they get their work. Uber gives them the work so Uber is their employer.

The PSC changes are going to be fun....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X