• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents (again)

I just had a meeting (face 2 face of all things) with my agent, so that we "could touch base." I'm not sure why they like to do these things, because I always feel much worse after these meetings, like I need a shower to get rid of the sleaze.

Before the meeting, I was quite happy, afterwards I just want to get away from them. Why do they do it??

Avoid these unless directly linked to a definate role. They get brownie points in the office for 'getting stuck into the market, working on leads blah blah'. It's 20 minutes out of their day and costs you travel and time, so no issue for them.
    Some contracts require initial screening (agents usually get round this with a telephone chat) but you should know the details of the role.
    If it's 'for a chat' forget it, waste of time.

Comment

I had one of these a few months ago. The agent came and met me at a coffee shop 2 minutes walk from my flat, bought coffee and was quite friendly, no indication of fishing for leads, all he asked about was my work experience and we went through my CV. He followed up with a few friendly phone calls as well, again, no asking for any contact details or references or anything else that normally smells of fishing for leads. All he wanted to know was how available I was.

It was quite a nice change from the usual
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        I had one of these a few months ago. The agent came and met me at a coffee shop 2 minutes walk from my flat, bought coffee and was quite friendly, no indication of fishing for leads, all he asked about was my work experience and we went through my CV. He followed up with a few friendly phone calls as well, again, no asking for any contact details or references or anything else that normally smells of fishing for leads. All he wanted to know was how available I was.

Very unusual. You could reward people like that with some leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet

One of you is not gay then.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Have had it where agent insisted on seeing me face to face, prior to me going into my interview (that he arranged) at Barclays Capital (a couple of years ago).

The bloke wanted to meet next to that 'giant blue smartie thing near Canary Wharf Station'...these are his words not mine.

Anyway, I met up with this 'person'. He couldn't have been much older than about...ten!!

This whipper snapper then preceded to lecture me on how to sit in an interview and also the importance of hand shakes and 'staring into the interviewers eyes'...FFS!

The only other time I have actually met my agent, was when I said I didn't want to renew at my last client. He then popped up, complete with 'latte' in hand. FFS again!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
              I just had a meeting (face 2 face of all things) with my agent, so that we "could touch base." I'm not sure why they like to do these things, because I always feel much worse after these meetings, like I need a shower to get rid of the sleaze.

Before the meeting, I was quite happy, afterwards I just want to get away from them. Why do they do it??
              Did he have a shiny head? The good ones polish their bald spot regularly.

Oh and they should buy you lunch - one Huxley agent did for me once! Miracle! Even though it was a spoons.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                Did he have a shiny head? The good ones polish their bald spot regularly.

Oh and they should buy you lunch - one Huxley agent did for me once! Miracle! Even though it was a spoons.
                My agent at Lorien has been booking dates to visit the client site and take "his" three contractors (including myself) out for a meal, but then promptly cancelling due to other engagements.

The other day he said I could take the GF for a meal and send him the bill, which was nice.

Comment

What I don't understand is that agents are meant to have "people skills", etc, but all they do is annoy and make your skin crawl. They say techies should be kept in a box, out of people's sight but this should apply to agents even more so.

Comment

Im not overly sure what the big fuss is with meeting the agent. I have met my agent a number of times and it can only be described as beneficial. Yes they will naturally come with the sales aspect but nethertheless this guy has to represent me. He has done for my last three contracts.

I beer bought here and there can only be seen as a bonus in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                    X