• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tips for a new role (London, Germany, Netherlands, Gibraltar)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for a new role (London, Germany, Netherlands, Gibraltar)

I'm having interviews this week. I was wondering what you guys would consider.

• 1 Gibraltar - £650 day rate - Nice weather, but boring location with not much to do.
    • 1 Hamburg - €900 day rate - But Fintech.
    • 1 for remote €750, sounds good, but 50% traveling to Germany, expenses paid
    • 1 for Zurich, CHF 1000
    • 1 for Netherlands, €800
    • 1 for Netherlands, €800, but the bank forces to use an Umbrella company.
    • 1 is face-2-face here in London, £700

I just offered to work for £650 for contracts in London, to have a more enjoyable work as I seem to struggle to get a non-Fintech role for £700. I had an interview to work for £750 at a bank in Edinburgh and at 1 in London, but they seem the most horrible boring jobs ever. I do care about making much money, but want to be happy too.

Do people have experience with the above locations or have any tips? It seems that Germany has crazy high tax, whereas Gibraltar/Zurich much lower.

What location would appeal most to you?

Depends.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Depends.
      On soooooooooooooo many things.
      Have you been a contractor for a while?

Comment

Depends.
        ...if you are actually offered any of them.

Comment

What do you do, may I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            ...if you are actually offered any of them.
            Well played.
            Went to four interviews once in the space of about a month and didn't get a single offer.

Comment

The first thing you need to understand is you pay tax in the country you are working in.

So if you work in Zurich you pay tax in Switzerland etc. So I suggest you research each country's tax regime. Also confirm that while working in Germany you aren't there too long so you have to pay tax in both Germany and the UK.

Next after you have got the contract you need to decide if you like the lifestyle in that country and whether the rate you have been offered is enough to live on there.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The first thing you need to understand is you pay tax in the country you are working in.

So if you work in Zurich you pay tax in Switzerland etc. So I suggest you research each country's tax regime. Also confirm that while working in Germany you aren't there too long so you have to pay tax in both Germany and the UK.

Next after you have got the contract you need to decide if you like the lifestyle in that country and whether the rate you have been offered is enough to live on there.
                +1 and not only that, if you still maintain any ties to uk, i.e. Dependents, more than 91 days a year in UK, you are liable for UK tax too, and pay the difference to whoever's is the highest rate.

Unless you intend to relocate perm or are prepared to pay for tax advice at both ends don't consider the EU ones.

Have you the right to work in EU?

Comment

Great advice.

Sounds like the OP has a lot more reading to do, especially as money isn't the primary motivation .
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jayz View Post
                    What location would appeal most to you?
                    The one with the most interesting work. Failing that, working from home beats travelling a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X