• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash beat Shares from 1995 to 2015

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash beat Shares from 1995 to 2015

Interesting blogs for our investors to read. The title is a little misleading as it's just talking about a general tracker where most investors would have been a lot more hands on and picked better products but as a straight comparison it's quite surprising. Probably be utterly useless going forward with the interest rates being what they are but still an interesting read.

Comment away.

High level comment
    Paul Lewis Money: CASH BEAT SHARES FROM 1995 TO 2015

Detail
    Paul Lewis Money: CASH VS SHARES
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

TL;DR - does it take dividends into consideration or just share prices versus cash value?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      TL;DR - does it take dividends into consideration or just share prices versus cash value?
      Erm.. Well the first paragraph in the first link says..

The new research compared returns from a simple tracker fund – which follows or ‘tracks’ the FTSE100 index of shares in our biggest hundred companies – with cash that is moved each year into a best buy one year deposit account with a bank or building society – sometimes called a ‘one year bond’. The tracker has dividends reinvested and the cash is reinvested each year with the interest earned.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Erm.. Well the first paragraph in the first link says..
        Thank you.

While TL;DR may have been too long so you didn't read it, the DR bit meant that I, well, didn't read it!
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I spent all my cash with NLyUK. On the advice of my accountant.

Comment

The comparison is not very good as it simply compares the number of periods where cash beats shares and vice versa, and that a lot of the time cash beats shares. But as you can see from one of the graphs the shares bounce up and down and when they go up they go up much higher each time.
            eg

This is my experience roughly:

Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5
            cash 100 102 104 106 108
            shares 100 76 85 95 130

Yes shares lose quite a lot of the time but they generally find their way up eventually.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thank you.

While TL;DR may have been too long so you didn't read it, the DR bit meant that I, well, didn't read it!
              So why are you asking questions then you cock womble.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I spent all my cash with NLyUK. On the advice of my accountant.
                For once you'll be hoping you don't get any returns 9 months after your initial deposit......

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So why are you asking questions then you cock womble.
                  On the hope that you'd managed to read it so it would save me doing so you clunge fraggle.

Comment

On the hope that you'd managed to read it so it would save me doing so you clunge fraggle.
                    But you've made me look like a right pillock cause I didn't read it either. Just sounded intelligent so thought I'd post it

Comment

Working...
                    X