• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

America

It appears that it may be a possiblity that I will be offered to work in the US for my present gig as a permy.

I would be interested in anybodies experiences of working stateside, (Chicago) and opinions on whether it will be a good move.

To be honest if the sums work out I would like to get out of London for a year or two and rent my flat out, as I am under the impression that the cost of living is cheaper in Chicago and it may work out in my favour

I do intend to return to this paradise at some point.

Any experiences, opinions would be welcome.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan
    It appears that it may be a possiblity that I will be offered to work in the US for my present gig as a permy.

I would be interested in anybodies experiences of working stateside, (Chicago) and opinions on whether it will be a good move.

To be honest if the sums work out I would like to get out of London for a year or two and rent my flat out, as I am under the impression that the cost of living is cheaper in Chicago and it may work out in my favour

I do intend to return to this paradise at some point.

Any experiences, opinions would be welcome.
    Not with the 10 foot barge pole of all lords.

Comment

If you could choose the location, San Francisco is lovely (and no, you don't need to be gay to enjoy it ).
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

It's different. Almost everyone enjoys it. Of course there is a "survivor bias" in that those who get shot don't come back and complain about it. But that's not a huge risk in most cities. Oh, sorry.

Comment

tulip.

That's Chicago.

Comment

Make sure you fully understand visa implications on you working there - it seems that fair few people who can easily get into USA (ie people with Western European passports) think that they can just get into USA and work there for money full-time without going through some special visa arrangements.

Also, what is it being permie in the USA? AFAIK their employment laws are pretty much like divorce in Islam - you can be fired on the spot and you will be expected to work as a permie with 2 weeks (!) of holidays per year.

Sure things are cheap in the USA, but dollar is falling down and it seems to me US can't really get out of financial trap without dollar devaluation, which means that whatever you earn there in terms of disposable income won't be worth that much in pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Sure things are cheap in the USA, but dollar is falling down and it seems to me US can't really get out of financial trap without dollar devaluation, which means that whatever you earn there in terms of disposable income won't be worth that much in pounds.
              Fair point. If you go, try to repatriate as much of your earnings into GBP's or EUR's as soon as poss to retain purchasing power in UK etc. US dollar collapse is long overdue.

Comment

Money

Considered this and will try to make the entire jaunt a "secondment" and stay on the UK payroll.

I have UK passport so I dont think there will be to many problems considering the firm is global. In fact it may even count in my favour as it will be motivation to keep me on the UK payroll.

The two weeks holiday sux.
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

A mate of mine is on an expat deal in the US for several years.

Paid in the UK bank his usual salary.
                  Rent and expenses paid in the US.

He lives on the expense in the US and effectively save 100% of his UK salary every month. His house is being let out.

Result is that when he returns next year, his savings pay off his mortgage and he is free to go contracting.

Nice one.

Comment

Keep your property in the Uk if you have one. If prices keep on rising you'll be priced out. Apart from that the standard of living is higher in the US, especially if you're not in New York. Decent flats are much more affordable to rent than here. Poor holidays and long working hours may be a problem - but if it's only for a year or two, international experience always looks good on your CV.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X