• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents vs Going it alone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents vs Going it alone?

As contractors we all seem to view agencies in a "necessary evil" fashion.

I have in the past worked both with companies directly as well as working through agents (some good, some bad, and some defiantly ugly). I just wanted to see how people felt the market now was with respect to getting work directly.

For the Record my background is Data Warehousing, there is lots of work out there but also seems to be a great deal of competition, my last 3 contracts have come through the same agency and although the service is good and the guy is helpful, I would still rather be winning the contracts myself.

Any thoughts?
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who don’t

No easy wins there - best bet is to network around your past work mates and teams. keep your contacts, don't burn your bridges and positions should find you more easily. having said that I do testing, thus I know a lot of people. My agent is pretty but nethertheless second choice

Comment

Don't forget you may end up getting shoved back to the agent anyway with bigger companies...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I tend to feel at the moment that even the companies i've worked at previously are a little scared to go it alone. The upside of this situation is that me and the agent i currently work with knows me very well and at least gets me forward to the relevent jobs.

nevermind, at least the money seems to be moving in the right direction.

Comment

If you're happy with the money you're getting and the agent is actively getting you jobs, I suggest you stick with that. That is a rare arrangement indeed.

Many companies will simply refer overtures from one man bands back to their preferred agent in any case. So saying, direct work is possible with a large enough network of contracts at the right sort of companies.

Comment

Similar to what I was saying, but if the agent is getting you contracts and you are happy with the money you might be best sticking with him as I'd imagine his/her network is bigger than yours.

What arrangements do you have with them?

Comment

No real set out arrangements, just an understanding really. I've met him a few times and he's technical which helps. I've spoken with some idiots in the past who don't even know how to speak never mind understand what a contract is doing. LMAO!

The best was a guy who though data warehousing was something to do with actual warehouse buildings - worrying really!!

Cheers for the advise guys, I think ill stick at it for now and take the direct opportunities when they show themselves.

Comment

defo stick with then - a bit of technical knowledge can be a god send. I had some clown asking me if i could script in sql server once!! At least now my can hold a conversation with me and avoid all the random boll@cks they normally fire at you.

Don't let him take too much money though!

Comment

Working...
                X