• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charitable donation - can it be tax deducted?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable donation - can it be tax deducted?

Hi, all,

I wonder if I could use my limited company for an effective donation.

My father is ill, he is not in the EU (he is in Central Asia) and needs an operation either in Russia or Kazakhstan. I know that, if I pay to a charity in the UK, the charity can claim tax back. However, could you advice me if I could make a charitable tax-free payments towards operation of my father?

The payment will go directly to a hospital. I don't know if the hospital registered as a charity or private business, or governmental organisation. And the payment has nothing to do with my line of business (management consulting)

Many thanks

So, you want to know if your UK company can pay for your father's operation and medical care?

Yes it can. It can pay for anything you like. But you will have to declare it as income and pay the due tax on it.

You want to pretend that paying for your father's operation and medical care is a "no strings" overseas charitable donation in order to avoid UK corporation tax on the donation? To an organisation that is outside the UK, is not a UK registered charity, and you aren't even sure the organisation even IS a charity? Just think about it for a second. What do you think?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Using your own name as a forum name isn't the smartest move either. HMRC read these pages so I'm sure they'd be wanting a look at your accounts if you think this is a sensible question.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm sorry your Father is ill but it must surely be obvious that paying for his medical treatment is not a charitable donation by any stretch of the imagination.

No, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Using your own name as a forum name isn't the smartest move either. HMRC read these pages so I'm sure they'd be wanting a look at your accounts if you think this is a sensible question.
          Accounts are not yet filed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            I'm sorry your Father is ill but it must surely be obvious that paying for his medical treatment is not a charitable donation by any stretch of the imagination.

No, in other words.
            Just the sort of enterprising people post-Brexit Britain needs?

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
              Accounts are not yet filed :-)
              Be careful because you have made yourself too visible...🤒😷
              Last edited by Scruff; 14 November 2016, 09:24.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Bakeev View Post

I wonder if I could use my limited company for an effective donation.
                Yes you can.
                My father is ill
                I'm very sorry to hear that.
                he is not in the EU (he is in Central Asia) and needs an operation either in Russia or Kazakhstan. I know that, if I pay to a charity in the UK, the charity can claim tax back.
                Sort of. They can claim gift aid but that only applies if you paid personally and are not claiming any tax relief personally on the charitable donation. Your LTD company isn't you personally and as you are trying to claim tax releif that's a double "no".

However, could you advice me if I could make a charitable tax-free payments towards operation of my father?
                No you can't. Unless you can find a hospital that allows you to make a charitable donation and they then treat him for free. Good luck with that.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Yes you can.
                  I'm very sorry to hear that. Sort of. They can claim gift aid but that only applies if you paid personally and are not claiming any tax relief personally on the charitable donation. Your LTD company isn't you personally and as you are trying to claim tax releif that's a double "no".

No you can't. Unless you can find a hospital that allows you to make a charitable donation and they then treat him for free. Good luck with that.
                  needs an operation either in Russia or Kazakhstan
                  Lets say, when considering those two locations, you never know
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Lets say, when considering those two locations, you never know
                    which is why I wanted to leave the option open. It is, after all, the way the world works for the very wealthiest.
                    I reckon if the OP made a donation of a few hundred million £ to a charity close to Putin's heart then this will work itself out very nicely. 1st world problems.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X