• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do higher taxes on booze and fags work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do higher taxes on booze and fags work?

The reality is that use of illicit products is closely related to the cost of the legal ones in relation to income. Raising taxes just stokes the illegal trades. Also the use of plain packaging makes the packets easier to fake.

Making dangerous and addictive drugs illegal probably makes sense since a relatively small percentage of the population has ever used them anyway. But trying to stop people using fags and booze? Those cats have been out of the bag for so long we will never put them back. Prohibition should have taught us that.

Sin*taxes on alcohol and tobacco have cost the Treasury £31bn, analysis finds

https://iea.org.uk/blog/less-afforda...e-black-market

https://www.ft.com/content/99a6d504-...2-00144feabdc0

PS I suspect that all the regulations about sugar content will not be totally effective either. How long before we have counterfeit cake?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

PS I suspect that all the regulations about sugar content will not be totally effective either. How long before we have counterfeit cake?
    Not really comparing like with like.

With cakes, biscuits, sauces and drinks you can make your own. Plus I doubt the regulations cover those selling one off products at places like coffee mornings, school fetes etc.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The reality is that use of illicit products is closely related to the cost of the legal ones in relation to income. Raising taxes just stokes the illegal trades. Also the use of plain packaging makes the packets easier to fake.

Making dangerous and addictive drugs illegal probably makes sense since a relatively small percentage of the population has ever used them anyway. But trying to stop people using fags and booze? Those cats have been out of the bag for so long we will never put them back. Prohibition should have taught us that.

well thanks to the EU I can buy 200 fags for £30 from a Polish lorry driver.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

https://iea.org.uk/blog/less-afforda...e-black-market ...
        Absolutely, plus alcohol taxes are decimating British pubs, with thousands closing each year.

And exorbitant taxes on cigarettes encourage more people to switch to coarser higher-tar brands, e.g. 20 Silk Cut (c 5 mg) are over £10 for a pack of 20, whereas 20 Chesterfield Blues (c 8 mg tar I think) are only £6, and switching to rollies (without using filters) is even worse.

edit: With the Plain Packaging rules coming in shortly, it's really about time some libertarian set up a web site with good images of cigarette brands and reviews etc, and included various drugs while they were about it! Why not? There's no law against it.
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 14 November 2016, 15:21.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Higher taxes on tissues could stop masturbation.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Higher taxes on tissues could stop masturbation.
            The thought of you , pooperscoot, damntwat, bjproby et al posting more on this site
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Absolutely, plus alcohol taxes are decimating British pubs, with thousands closing each year.

And exorbitant taxes on cigarettes encourage more people to switch to coarser higher-tar brands, e.g. 20 Silk Cut (c 5 mg) are over £10 for a pack of 20, whereas 20 Chesterfield Blues (c 8 mg tar I think) are only £6, and switching to rollies (without using filters) is even worse.

edit: With the Plain Packaging rules coming in shortly, it's really about time some libertarian set up a web site with good images of cigarette brands and reviews etc, and included various drugs while they were about it! Why not? There's no law against it.
              I found out at the weekend that you won't be able to buy ciggies in 10's any more. I knew about the plain packaging but not this. Apparently it helps price kids out of buying fags by forcing then to stump up for 20 at a time?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Higher taxes on curtains could stop masturbation.

FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SYSK
                  Taxing things like alcohol, tobacco and gambling is big money and has been for a long time. But are these "sin taxes" keeping people from indulging or are they simply a way to raise revenue? Learn all about sin taxes in today's episode.
                  Do sin taxes work? | Stuff You Should Know

Not ready/listen to any of the stuff, but I would guess its more about driving the black economy rather than money into treasury coffers
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    The thought of you , pooperscoot, damntwat, bjproby et al posting more on this site
                    Why don't you just go back to Stormfront where you belong
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X