• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been watching Ripper Street?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been watching Ripper Street?

Just finished watching Series 4, which ended on a cliffhanger, and I know Series 5 has been filmed although maybe not yet out on DVD.

Quite entertaining, although some of the plot lines seem rather shark-jumpy. Also, the quaint language is absurd and more suited to the year 1697 than 1897, by when people spoke pretty much as we do today.

Maybe the stilted language is meant to lend some slightly surreal dramatic effect and is not intended to be accurate.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Hadn't really noticed the language as stilted but yeh, Ripper Street on of the very few recent things worth watching on TV. Like anything to do with crime and serial killers, me.

PS I'm sure Jack the Ripper was the Victorian equivalent of Banksy. All that arranging innards over the shoulder thing was clearly an artistic statement.

PPS Had to look up shark-jumpy. Tis a bit, like that genius surgeon always discovering more modern things like blood transfusion, fingerprinting etc. Has he done DNA testing yet?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 17 November 2016, 10:31.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Watched the final series on Amazon Prime a couple of weeks ago - not sure if they intended you to be able to watch the whole lot in one go as it did have a release schedule at the time.

The final series is great until the last episode. I challenge anyone who has watched all the previous series not to end up saying WTF!?

Comment

I enjoyed it, possibly the language is based on rough speech rather than polite Victorian society?

Sort of Cockney slang rather than Surrey Received ?

Just as we discovered the Scouse & Mancunian accent existed once the BBC diversified in the 80s. Up until then everyone sounded like they had a plum in their throat and were unlikl0ey to say away with yer.

The improbable science is funny, its like watching NCIS when they zoom in from a traffic camera inventing detail as they go.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
          The final series is great until the last episode. I challenge anyone who has watched all the previous series not to end up saying WTF!?
          That I can well believe - I've found myself saying WTF?! a couple of times, and I haven't even started Series 5
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X