• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staples is no more - to Exit the UK back to the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staples is no more - to Exit the UK back to the USA

So, after being sold for £1, the UK group of Staples is closing with immediate effect, 100ish branches closed and 1100+ staff sacked.

Staples to disappear from UK high streets after sale by US owner

In case anybody wanted to pick up some cheap pens.

Feel sorry for the people who work in the shops - not nice news just before xmas.

They do seem to have loads of stores in weird places. For example on retail estates where the only other retailers are builders and plumbing merchants. There as the likes of Rymans are on the high street...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is it time to start rethinking the centres of smaller towns then?
      As the online trend goes on, we see them becoming these "chavzones" with Poundlands, Greggs, charity shops, bookies, countless kebab and chicken shops, etc. but nothing of quality. As such, you attract the dregs of society to the high street then people moan about the inevitable state of it with drunks, litter and ASBOs everywhere.

Shopping culture is shifting online or to nicer out-of-town malls or larger cities. This gives the potential to regenerate knackered old shopping precincts and make them nice places to be. Can't see it taking off though.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Town centres are dying. Personally, I would prefer to go to the dentist than visit my local town centre (Basingstoke) - full of overwight, unwashed chavs with their 20 primark bags. Although, stamples is never in town centres - generally big stores in retail parks outside of town centres.

As more and more of the big shops go under (M&S next, then WH Smiths, then who knows?) they are all replaced with more hairdressers, bargin basement clothes shops, tat shops and fly-by-nights.

Amazon home delivery for the win. Means I never have to leave the house, or shop, or get dressed/wash/etc.

Comment

I never understood how Staples managed to keep going, they are horribly expensive and those big retail park units with no customers must be costing them a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
            Town centres are dying. Personally, I would prefer to go to the dentist than visit my local town centre (Basingstoke) - full of overwight, unwashed chavs with their 20 primark bags. Although, stamples is never in town centres - generally big stores in retail parks outside of town centres.

As more and more of the big shops go under (M&S next, then WH Smiths, then who knows?) they are all replaced with more hairdressers, bargin basement clothes shops, tat shops and fly-by-nights.

Amazon home delivery for the win. Means I never have to leave the house, or shop, or get dressed/wash/etc.
            Another MF sockie?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Another MF sockie?
              Nah MF always gets dressed for the first class lounge!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
                I never understood how Staples managed to keep going, they are horribly expensive and those big retail park units with no customers must be costing them a fortune.
                Agreed. Normally they are near the likes of PC World (1 sale = 1 PC = £1000) or Currys (1 sale = 1 Washing machine = £450).. it did not seem to work in terms of maths (1 sale = 4 pens and a ream of paper = £5.50).

I did use them once in a blue moon, but only for pens, pencils and storage boxes. Their Tech was overpriced and their furniture was shocking quality. I made the mistake of purchasing two office chairs from them - the screws from the seat support stuck through the padding.. it was like sitting on some form of torture chair. Plus, hard to compete with the home delivery companies like Viking direct.

I am still shocked that WH Smiths is still around - their business model does not seem to work to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
                  I am still shocked that WH Smiths is still around - their business model does not seem to work to me.
                  Their business model has been to continually cut costs as much as possible and take the profit while they still can.

They've also split their business is 2, one is the high cost high footfall travel business, the other the high street stores where they cut costs as much as possible.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Their business model has been to continually cut costs as much as possible and take the profit while they still can.

They've also split their business is 2, one is the high cost high footfall travel business, the other the high street stores where they cut costs as much as possible.
                    It's literally years since I went into WH Smiths, books are easily found online and I don't buy magazines any more. I'm not sure if they still sell films and games?

Comment

Working...
                    X